Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Looking for something decent for a podcast

Thanks

Looking for something decent for a podcast

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi all!

We are looking to start a podcast and I'm hoping I can get some direction in selecting a microphone!!

I don't have too many requirements, other than it needs to be USB compatible and be the type of microphone which can support a microphone flag - we plan to also use the mics for basic journalist reporting and want to plug our brand while holding the mic ;D

I've had a bit of a look at pricing and can see the prices do blow out a bit, but I was kind of hoping something within the vicinity of $100-$200 would be plenty for a home setup? Would be good if it came with a stand for ease of use.

One mic which I randomly came across was this one: ATR2100-USB Cardioid Dynamic USB/XLR Microphone || Audio-Technica US Seems to do the job but I have no real idea whether it's good enough. I came across it because I was a fan of AT in the past for headphones.

Thanks for all your help guys, let me know if there's anything else you'd need to know.

Cheers,
    Sami

Thanks
    Hi Sami,
    Quite often podcasts turn out to be way more complicated than you'd think.
    What are you specific plans? Is it completely live or pre recorded and edited?

Will you be managing music, callers, or guest speakers like a radio show?

The reason I'm asking is that a USB microphone stamps a big limitation on what else you can do, so it's good to think about it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grawlf View Post
    That's a tad too much terminology. What do you mean by 'mix'?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    No VST can emulate that smell.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    Hi Sami,
    Quite often podcasts turn out to be way more complicated than you'd think.
    What are you specific plans? Is it completely live or pre recorded and edited?

Will you be managing music, callers, or guest speakers like a radio show?

The reason I'm asking is that a USB microphone stamps a big limitation on what else you can do, so it's good to think about it now.
    Hi mate,

Thanks for your response!

It'll only be used for pre-recorded stuff and there won't be any guest speakers/callers for it.

I manage a sports media blog. It's mainly going to serve the purposes of a reporter - voiceovers on footage and simply commentary/transformative discussions of events.

The reason for USB was to keep things as simple as possible and hook up to laptops quickly and record the voiceovers and then merge with video footage.

hope that helps?

Thanks
    Although I dont see anything special about it ,. for people starting out that mic gets rave reviews from the School of podcasting host Dave Jackson. I say for podcasting, go for it. The nice thing about the usb is not the easy hook up,. its that you won't need an audio interface to use it because its built in. While a nicer mic running through a dedicated interface would likely result in better quality and the ability to multitrack,. it would be a subtle difference in quality until you learned how to use the equipment properly and treated your room acoustically. Also AT does make good stuff. You'll also want to start looking into acoustical treatment of some sort and probably some good headphones like the sony 7506's or similar reference quality closed backs.
    Dyermaker8

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    That ATR 2100 is only $80, about 50quid? I bought a capacitor USB mic for about that and although it worked quite well it was insensitive (for a cap' mic) and a bit noisy. I don't know for sure but I suspect that dynamic will be worse on both fronts?

But what is ALWAYS forgotten when USB mics are brought up it the playback/monitoring? Basically you HAVE none save the crappy !/8" headphone output of the computer's crappy soundcard.

My reccy would always be for a decent microphone (SM58 if you must but I favour an SDC) and an interface. The Alesis i02 is about the same money as that USB mic then you need to spend about the same on a "proper" mic.

Sorry! But there is a lower cost limit where these things can be done with any quality and ease of operation. If you JUST want to Skype Aunty in Oz, go USB, anything the least bit more complex go AI+mic.

Dave.

Thanks
    ATR 2100 package (mic,desktop stand, usb cable) $58 on amazn . Basically a podcasting package. Dynamic cause proximity effect and much less room noise. Mic also has a built it AI including its own headphone jack and volume knob for monitoring. Its the tool for the job for people who want to skip straight to making content with minimal fuss.
    Dyermaker8

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dyermaker8 View Post
    ATR 2100 package (mic,desktop stand, usb cable) $58 on amazn . Basically a podcasting package. Dynamic cause proximity effect and much less room noise. Mic also has a built it AI including its own headphone jack and volume knob for monitoring. Its the tool for the job for people who want to skip straight to making content with minimal fuss.
    Right. But the ability of a microphone to "reject" (it can't in practice) room effect/noise has been discussed here recently. It is a function of sensitivity not of operational type.

Dave.

Thanks
    Do you have a link to more information on that usb mic package Mr D?

I have had a look at the AT website and putting "usb microphone" in their search engine gets me nowt!

Dave.

Thanks
    I don't disagree that mic sensitivity is the important factor. The dynamic mic is less sensitive and therefore cannot hear the room as well making room treatment somewhat less urgent. proximity effect=big voice=big dick=podcast success! I'm being silly but while audio is certainly important in podcasting they are not going to attack it at the same angle as the music recording people do.

Amazon.com: Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB Cardioid Dynamic USB/XLR Microphone: Musical Instruments
    Dyermaker8

Thanks
    "Built-in headphone jack allows you to directly monitor your microphone output without audible delay"

^ From that link. Not quite the same as a full blown AI with knobs on? And the HP monitoring could just be an amped up version of what is GOING OUT? No return USB signal at all?

I agree, podders might not be all that fussy but I think it behoves us all to point out the pitfalls?

Glad you mentioned "Proximity effect" once again. It is of course the increase in bass response you get from any directional microphone as you get closer. Not of course just the preserve of the dynamic.

The effect was exploited of course to its greatest extent in the Relso "pit mic" where a wire frame kept the mouth at a very close but specific distance from a specially modifies ribbon and the mic fed an EQ box which cut the LF along with much of the ambient noise....I shall now go and find one!

Dave.

Thread Information