Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Looking for something decent for a podcast

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Can't find one!
    This old brain may have it wrongly and it was not Reslo but Coles (then STC) that produced the "commentators" mic? I am however pretty sure there is a Reslo version, comes in a fitted hardwood box which contains the EQ circuitry.

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    That ATR 2100 is only $80, about 50quid? I bought a capacitor USB mic for about that and although it worked quite well it was insensitive (for a cap' mic) and a bit noisy. I don't know for sure but I suspect that dynamic will be worse on both fronts?

But what is ALWAYS forgotten when USB mics are brought up it the playback/monitoring? Basically you HAVE none save the crappy !/8" headphone output of the computer's crappy soundcard.

My reccy would always be for a decent microphone (SM58 if you must but I favour an SDC) and an interface. The Alesis i02 is about the same money as that USB mic then you need to spend about the same on a "proper" mic.

Sorry! But there is a lower cost limit where these things can be done with any quality and ease of operation. If you JUST want to Skype Aunty in Oz, go USB, anything the least bit more complex go AI+mic.

Dave.
    You all kinda lost me a bit with the microphone technical talk! Question - what do you mean by "interface" and how would you go about connecting to a PC if not USB?

Keep in mind, in regards to noise sensitivity etc, our work will mostly be conducted in quiet rooms. Not sure if that will help? Really don't want to get something overkill for what it is, just looking to make journalist/voiceover videos that sound normal.

Cheers!

Thanks
    Dave - I agree with your pitfalls statement, I just don't think this setup has them in this scanario.

I'm also not going to defend this mic too hard,. as I don't actually have one, but it seems like it could be a good and inexpensive starter kit for podcasters or singer/songwriter types. I might snag one to play with though. It has a volume knob. You can monitor direct or from the pc. Its been vetted by the podcast community. Dynamic mics are generally cardioid and have more prox than the typical Omni Condenser. I'm emphasizing that because the effect is a point of interest for people looking for a Radio/broadcast/voice over color. Yes,. compression and other tweaks will complete the sound,. yes,. pros use condensers, in treated rooms.

DJblurr ,. an AI(audio interface) is a device that takes an anlog signal from an instrument or mic and converts it to a digital signal for your pc. A typical example works alot like a usb soundcard that has better microphone preamp(s) that also allows for direct monitoring(you hear whats coming out of the mic) or PC monitoring (processed sound coming from your Podcast software, system sounds,. ect).
    My suggestion,. Get the atr2100 ,. its what your looking for.

That Relso sounds fun,.
    Dyermaker8

Thanks
    Yeah! Sorry about the verbiage.

Attached is an interface, one of the best for the money IMHO.

An audio interface, unlike any USB mic I know of, will allow the connection of virtually any microphone, guitar/bass, or music source such as a pod or CD player. On a minimum of two channels (the illustrated has 4). It will also allow the connection of headphones which can monitor the original mic signal, that signal after PC processing* or a mixture of both. Also you can listen to a previous recording as you make a new one, called "dubbing". There will also be a two channel "line" feed to drive an external amplifier/speaker system for more critical "monitoring." These days the amplifiers are usually built into the speakers.

Yes, you are correct, an AI will be connected via USB in all but a very few cases these days.

(Mods: Still cannot grab a complete "quote" and that is on my big Asus 6core not the poorly HP laptop. Is this an IE11 issue? )

*There IS something called "latency" that afflicts computer recording but the KA6 shown has very little of that!

Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images ka6shot-png 

Thanks
    "Dave - I agree with your pitfalls statement, I just don't think this setup has them in this scanario.

I'm also not going to defend this mic too hard,. as I don't actually have one, but it seems like it could be a good and inexpensive starter kit for podcasters or singer/songwriter types. I might snag one to play with though. It has a volume knob. You can monitor direct or from the pc. Its been vetted by the podcast community. Dynamic mics are generally cardioid and have more prox than the typical Omni Condenser. I'm emphasizing that because the effect is a point of interest for people looking for a Radio/broadcast/voice over color. Yes,. compression and other tweaks will complete the sound,. yes,. pros use condensers, in treated rooms."

Yes, well the thread IS titled "Something DECENT" for podcasting! To me that means the next step up from a USB mic and not just because of the shortcomings of the the mic (some are said to be very good) but mainly because of the operational issues sans an AI. Or maybe I am too used to having them about?

Tiny point? An OMNI capacitor will have no proximity effect at all (all to do with plane and spherical wavefronts and velocity sensitive devices..Sorry OP!) .

The OP has also said he has a quiet space to "pod" in? Shame to spoil things with a noisy mic!

Dave.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ecc83 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Yes, well the thread IS titled "Something DECENT" for podcasting! To me that means the next step up from a USB mic and not just because of the shortcomings of the the mic (some are said to be very good) but mainly because of the operational issues sans an AI. Or maybe I am too used to having them about?

The OP has also said he has a quiet space to "pod" in? Shame to spoil things with a noisy mic!

Dave.
    If i bought a $50 mic from AT that was noisy i'd be suprised,. then I'd send it back. I've not seen anyone suggest that its noisy.

I don't think your concerns are unjustified Dave. It doesn't take much to imagine that inside the mic is a small usb soundcard and a mic pre on a chip. Nothing new about the tech,. plenty of variations on the theme about. It could be shit. But I would still like to think that AT has decent enough quality control to make this a safe purchase for a lot of people. With an XLR out it still has use in live settings and with a seperate AI if one upgrades in the future. For the cost of a used sm57. Its an attractive niche product,. all it needs is bluetooth and sd recording built in.
    Dyermaker8

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dyermaker8 View Post
    If i bought a $50 mic from AT that was noisy i'd be suprised,. then I'd send it back. I've not seen anyone suggest that its noisy.

I don't think your concerns are unjustified Dave. It doesn't take much to imagine that inside the mic is a small usb soundcard and a mic pre on a chip. Nothing new about the tech,. plenty of variations on the theme about. It could be shit. But I would still like to think that AT has decent enough quality control to make this a safe purchase for a lot of people. With an XLR out it still has use in live settings and with a seperate AI if one upgrades in the future. For the cost of a used sm57. Its an attractive niche product,. all it needs is bluetooth and sd recording built in.
    Eff me! Quote is working today! (just had a Java update. Moot??) I am almost certainly being too harsh ref the AT mic and perhaps the one I had. It showed noise when recoding gentle acoustic guitar at about a foot. One inch waffling would certainly be ok!

I am more concerned with all the other functions the OP will lack without an AI but so long as he understands all that, go USB!

Dave.

Thanks
    Cool thanks guys, I think I might get a couple of the AT mics and see how they perform.

A couple of you mentioned it has knobs to control things - Is this some sort of add-on that you're talking about, as the mic ATR2100-USB Cardioid Dynamic USB/XLR Microphone || Audio-Technica US doesn't seem to have anything other than mic and stand in this picture?

Is there any "go to" free software people use for recording that they would recommend?

Thanks
    "
    Is there any "go to" free software people use for recording that they would recommend? "

Audacity, Mixcraft, Presonus Studio One. My personal favourite, Magix Samplitude ProX Silver. Reaper is well loved but is not ultimately free.

Be well aware! They will ALL drive you nuts at first! Stick at it and ask here posting screen grabs of any connkobbulations.

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djblurr View Post
    Cool thanks guys, I think I might get a couple of the AT mics and see how they perform.
    Generally speaking*, you will only be able to use one (USB audio interface/atr2100/usb mic) at a time on a pc.

Quote Originally Posted by djblurr View Post
    A couple of you mentioned it has knobs to control things - Is this some sort of add-on that you're talking about, as the mic ATR2100-USB Cardioid Dynamic USB/XLR Microphone || Audio-Technica US doesn't seem to have anything other than mic and stand in this picture?

Is there any "go to" free software people use for recording that they would recommend?

Here's the amazn link , the third picture shows the jacks and vol knob on the bottom of the mic. Its all there besides headphones and a computer.

For a Daw, I'm stuck on Reaper. It has an unlimited free trial that that only has a nag screen at startup. NON/limited use commercial license is about $60 a year, which is good to purchase if your making any money with it cause then you'll be supported. It is very flexable and can do just about anything you could want in audio. The learning curve is signifigant.

Also,. Audacity is still a thing in the podcasting world. It is a free and full featured audio editor. It will certainly get the job done, but it is a case of you get what your pay for. Starting out though,. you can learn plenty with it.

and then there's Adobe Audition ,. $20 per month sacrificed to the Gods of the Cloud will get you a full feature professional Audio editing software that also has many production related features(many that involve the use of other adobe products) useful in podcasting and broadcast work. This might be a good option if your interested in possibly dipping into video work as well.

*Hindenburg radio editing softwares "Hindenburg Journalist Pro" and above packages include an internal software multitrack feature that lets you use more than one USB mic on a pc, as well as mix skype and other computer audio. It is highly geared for radio journalism and podcasting. The $100 version of this software (Hindenburg Journalist) does not have the multitrack feature. There is a 30 day free trial of the Pro and Broadcaster level softwares, but the pro level is $375 to buy. The multi-track feature alone would definitly not be worth the 275 extra when you could easily purchase a multi-input audio interface that does the same thing for less and upgrades your audio (vs the usb mics) in the process.
    Last edited by dyermaker8; 10-03-2015 at 12:21.
    Dyermaker8

Thread Information