Line 6 UX2 or m-Track Plus for Stream/Podcast Setup?

Dealman

[Solved] Line 6 UX2 or m-Track Plus for Stream/Podcast Setup?

Hello everyone!

I'm such a newbie when it comes to this whole audio stuff. Currently I'm running a setup where as I use a AT-2020+ USB but I feel that it's not that great. It picks up a whole lot of background noise, such as my keyboard, my mouse and the sound in general just feels very "roomy".

I do have a AT-2035 laying around, but I'm not able to use it since it's a XLR microphone, so I've been thinking about getting a USB audiocard/mixer for it.

Currently, there are two items that has got my attention;

Line 6 - POD Studio UX2
m-Audio m-Track Plus

The Line 6 being a little bit more expensive, and about as high as I'd like to go in terms of budget. The problem is that as I mentioned before, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to this stuff. I don't know which would yield the best result for what I'm trying to achieve.

Basically I'm looking to hook it up with my AT-2035, mostly to use for gaming. Streaming, recording for YouTube, talking with buddies over TS3/Skype, Podcasts and the likes. Most importantly I want to eliminate background noises.

I have a popfilter and a RFX Reflexion Filter, though the latter is a bit big for my current setup. And I'm planning on getting one of these arms so I can easily adjust the position of the microphone.

So what are your thoughts? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I have the basic M Track and it works fine. I've not used the Line 6 box so can't say if it's better or not but doubt there could be much in it.

However, I have to say that, if your problem is the pickup of background noise, I'm not sure the 2035 is going to be much better than the 2020 in that area.

The Reflexion filter is generally pretty good but can be very fussy in terms of the set up and positioning. It might be worth digging up the manual and resetting things really precisely. The other thing that can help is something soft behind you. A movers blanket or duvet behind you and a bit away from the wall can help quite a lot.

Having said all that, a USB interface could be a good investment anyway. It'll be better quality than a USB mic and it'll also allow you to try other mics--if none of the suggestions work, then, almost certainly, a dynamic mic might be the way to go to eliminate room noise...and you'd need an interface for that.

The Line 6 is, AFAIK more aimed at the guitar market? Fine but not needed here.

So, M-Track it is!

I note that the AT 2035 has 10dB pad and an 80Hz high pass filter (bass cut in noobspeak) so engage both and get closer!

Getting really close to the mic is the secret to reducing external noise and room effect. It has nothing to do with microphone type as some will insist.

If you look around you can actually pickup really cheap dynamic mics that are nonetheless perfectly fine for "Tooobing"!

A few months ago I bought 4 such dynamics reduced from £20 to £4! from Maplins . They serve me well, wrapped in cling film in the garden for wildlife recording via a stalwart Behringer X802!

Dave.

So do you guys reckon it would be a worthwhile investment? I'm pretty sure the keyboard will still be heard, since it's a mechanical keyboard. So I'll probably have to get a more quiet keyboard.

More specifically I was planning on buying the Supreme Broadcast MS23. Hopefully this will allow me to position the microphone a fair bit closer.

So do you guys reckon it would be a worthwhile investment? I'm pretty sure the keyboard will still be heard, since it's a mechanical keyboard. So I'll probably have to get a more quiet keyboard.

More specifically I was planning on buying the Supreme Broadcast MS23. Hopefully this will allow me to position the microphone a fair bit closer.

Don't know how Kr stand to Euros bit that looks expensive? This

Millenium MA-2050 - Thomann UK

Would leave you change for Ee 50 Prodipe dynamic mic.

Dave.

€1 ≈ 9;- SEK

The one you linked does look better, and it is cheaper(excluding shipping, of course. With shipping it's about the same).

Aha! Swedish Kroner. I have found it is so close to the Euro as to make no difference.

Dave.

I've ordered the Millenium MA-2050, however, I'm still not entirely sure as to whether getting a USB interface would be beneficial to the quality. :(

ive had a bunch of interfaces, the line6ux2 comes with some nice software, but what youre doing with one mic, any plugs can do....probably a expander/gate to remove room noise, some eq, comp and you'll get some good sounds.

You could save some and get a UX1, it has XLR for one mic.

had a M-Audio something too they are all in the same shelf of gear, and do amazingly well. Tascam 122, 144 etc..

the software(gearbox/podfarm) is fantastic it has all vocal preamps and comps and eqs, you'll need, and you can get more gain and clarity through this too to help with the units preamp.

But almost any DAW will have plugs too. You can get free gates and expanders, eq etc.. to get noises out of your takes.

ive had a bunch of interfaces, the line6ux2 comes with some nice software, but what youre doing with one mic, any plugs can do....probably a expander/gate to remove room noise, some eq, comp and you'll get some good sounds.

You could save some and get a UX1, it has XLR for one mic.

had a M-Audio something too they are all in the same shelf of gear, and do amazingly well. Tascam 122, 144 etc..

the software(gearbox/podfarm) is fantastic it has all vocal preamps and comps and eqs, you'll need, and you can get more gain and clarity through this too to help with the units preamp.

But almost any DAW will have plugs too. You can get free gates and expanders, eq etc.. to get noises out of your takes.

Thanks for the response!

I checked the UX1 out and it seems like a far more logical purchase than the UX2. However, something's got me confused. The AT2035 requires something fancy "phantom" shizzle, and the UX1 doesn't mention anything 'bout that? Surely it'd still be compatible, yeah?

yes its a power supply, and the interface you want will have it built in.
the mic wont work without it. plug in your mic, and turn on the 48v/power switch. the manual will mention it.
that M-Audio looks to be a different layout, kind of personal choice on which one you like.

From what I could read from their manuals, the UX1 doesn't seem to support 48v Phantom, where as it mentions the UX2 has a switch for it. :/

Sorry for the double post but I thought I'd update this and mark it as solved.

I decided to increase my budget just a little bit, and I went with the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. I did some research about it, and it seemed to be a very respectable interface. It was also in stock, so I won't have to wait for 1 week+. Yeah, I guess you could call me impatient, haha.

Thanks everyone who contributed to this thread, I really appreciate the help!

Back