How can I eliminate keyboard clicking from being audible in game streams ?

Twirly

Hi

I recently bought a Rode Procaster, Zoom UAC2, Triton Fethead, DBX 286S, the appropriate balanced cables, shock mount and desk swivel stand to use for Twitch streaming.

To set up the DBX I followed this video:

Whilst the microphone sounds good it picks up keyboard and mouse clicks. I ensured I did the correct research by picking up a dynamic cardioid mic and a compressor with an expander/gate. However it seems I failed somewhere either by product selection or not setting it up properly.

How can I eliminate these noises from being picked up? Whilst the video above is probably good for Podcasting/Broadcasting what do I need or what do I need to adjust please for live game streaming?

Thank you

You can adjust the gate to eliminate the keyboard sounds while you are not talking. But once you start talking into the mic the gate will open and you will hear the keyboard.

There are mechanical solutions also.

For example, there are keyboards and mice that are not as clicky as others. My keyboard is as noisy as an old typewriter . . . but I'm not doing podcasts so I don't care.

You can adjust mike position so that it is closer to your face, and the keyboard and mouse is behind it.

Also if your mic has a cardioid pattern, you can try pointing the null (rear) at the keyboard to attenuate the keyboard noise. Ideally I'd try a headset mic or lavalier that's closer to your mouth and will have a higher ratio of voice to noise.

I have just bought a second Microsoft Wireless Keyboard with integral track pad.
The first I bought for my daughter and it works superbly.
Nor totally silent but very much quieter than the usual clackers and in any case, you could have it on your lap, another 500mm from the mic?
Model # 1632 1496. £35 from our Sainsburies but I dare say a lot cheaper on Zon.

Dave.

Back