-70 Mic for skype/gaming commentary

Cionow

I was looking for recommendations and what I should look for in specs for a mic with this. I would like for it to be transmit high volumes when I am talking normally and possibly pick up whispering at a good volume. But at the same time I don't want it to pick up too much background noise like my fan and keyboard. It would be nice if I could turn this on and off maybe. I am new btw so thanks for the help!

dont worry about your fan and keyboard.. turn off fan. all mics will pick it up. you care way too much if you care about keyboard sounds. thats newb thinking. you should get a large diaphragm gold platted condensers like at4040 or nt1a and use eq and compressor. if you wanna be cheap mxl990 is popular for commentaries they sell for 50 bucks new sometimes then go back up to 100.

I was looking for recommendations and what I should look for in specs for a mic with this. I would like for it to be transmit high volumes when I am talking normally and possibly pick up whispering at a good volume. But at the same time I don't want it to pick up too much background noise like my fan and keyboard. It would be nice if I could turn this on and off maybe. I am new btw so thanks for the help!

Hi,
There's a number of ways to approach this.
I'd certainly use PTT or a noise gate after recording so that keyboard and fan sounds aren't heard during periods when you aren't talking.

The mic that picks up the least background noise is the one you're closest to so in that respect a headset mic might be the best solution for you.
If that's no good then a dynamic mic kept as close as possible to you might be a close second.

Avoiding desktop stands can help with transmission of keyboard taps. I find it's not the higher frequency clicking that's the problem. It's the bassy thud sounds (because I do use a desktop stand).

I think people expect to hear keyboard sounds to some extent but, yeah, fans are annoying.
Do you mean computer fans?
No matter what mic you choose, try to get the computer as far away from the mic as you can and, if possible, have some mass between the two.
Positioning the mic so that they computer is in the pattern null can help too. Google image diagrams of cardioid polar pattern if you're not sure what I mean.

If it's an actual room cooling fan then yeah...I'd just turn it off.

Hope some of that's useful. :)

Back