Recording electric guitar???

Well, just saying...the intro to this song was recorded somewhat acoustically, but I've no idea how the mikes were placed.

So it has been done...

Problem is, he's been known to use primarily Santo Tonecaster guitars (tele copy)...so it's probably not a recording of anything hollow bodied at all.

Last edited:
Well, just saying...the intro to this song was recorded somewhat acoustically, but I've no idea how the mikes were placed.

So it has been done...

Problem is, he's been known to use primarily Santo Tonecaster guitars (tele copy)...so it's probably not a recording of anything hollow bodied at all.

Yea, no amp and more as an effect, not as the core sound. I've heard electrics recorded with a mic as an effect. I can't imagine doing a whole song with this.

Just to confuse things. Breaking Benjamin, Five Finger Death Punch, etc... all mic up an amp and model the sound into a Kemper and actually record with the Kemper.

So it is a model of a miced amp and cabinet that is recorded direct.

Secondly, the little round thing in the middle of a speaker is the dust cap. The part between the dust cap and the edge of the speaker is the cone. So the instruction to point the mic between the cone and the edge makes no sense. Placing it between the dust cap and the edge is what needs to be done.

Dunno. I hear a lot of youtube videos where you can hear the sound of the strings as well as the amp and it doesn't sound too great. I think you would want to hear the "hollowness" of the guitar, which does come through the amp, versus the sound of the strings, or worse, the pick hitting the strings.

Some of the heavy duty pros, like Eric Clapton, Warren Haynes, Stevie Ray Vaughan will run their signals through several amps and mic/mix all of them together. Sometimes they'll place an amp or two in a separate room, or they'll mic the room as well as the amp. There are tons of studio tricks that these guys use.

Just to confuse things. Breaking Benjamin, Five Finger Death Punch, etc... all mic up an amp and model the sound into a Kemper and actually record with the Kemper.

So it is a model of a miced amp and cabinet that is recorded direct.

Secondly, the little round thing in the middle of a speaker is the dust cap. The part between the dust cap and the edge of the speaker is the cone. So the instruction to point the mic between the cone and the edge makes no sense. Placing it between the dust cap and the edge is what needs to be done.

Typo. My bad.

Dunno. I hear a lot of youtube videos where you can hear the sound of the strings as well as the amp and it doesn't sound too great. .

No, it doesn't. If you can hear pick hitting strings when using an electric guitar, you're doing it very wrong.

No, it doesn't. If you can hear pick hitting strings when using an electric guitar, you're doing it very wrong.

Yeah, almost unimaginable. I would have to mic the guitar body, compress the shit out of it and set the level higher than the amp channel to get pick hitting string sounds - even at at low amp volume.

The only time something like that happens is when they are capturing everything with their phone and the amp isn't turned up loud enough to drown out the ambient pick noise. (Or the player's mother screaming at him through his bedroom door)

The only time something like that happens is when they are capturing everything with their phone and the amp isn't turned up loud enough to drown out the ambient pick noise. (Or the player's mother screaming at him through his bedroom door)

Never thought of that lol. I always mute the phone audio :-)

There is a lot of very fine stuff on youtube that is not recorded very well, mostly by pointing an iPhone at something and hitting record.

This cannot be confused with something that is recorded well.

When I pull up an amp demo, if I can hear the pick hitting strings, that useless shit will be turned off.

OP, the best thing to do is to go ahead and mic up both the amp and the guitar and see if you like the results. Experiment with placement for both mic's, or heck, use several mic's to see what works and what doesn't. You just might come up with a totally unique and amazing sound. The standard recording techniques used today were themselves yesterday's crazy ideas.

Go for it and share what you come up with!

^ Or he could save himself a ton of wasted time and do what is proven to work. Doubt some one as new as him should start off experimenting like that.

Back