recording electric guitar

martinepiphone

we are about to do some electric recording on our demo and i was just wondering if you guys, when recording electric, mic the c cabinet always, or do you run a line into the mix and just have your effects board in between, or both....i was just wanting to know some of you guys' different techniques when recording electric guitar...thanks
Matt

It really depends on the sound you are trying to achieve. If you have a decent environment/room that provides you the ability to mic the amp, then mic the amp. You may have to experiment with different mics, combination of mics at different distances, as well as placement to achieve your desired sound. However, if that does not yield the desired result, try direct or a combo of both.

I posted a wicked method of micing an amp on the Guitar thread. If you are looking for that fat cruncky sound. The mentioned method will give it to you.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I’ve done a lot of recording of electric guitar, miked and direct – mostly direct these days. A PZM mic on a wall with the amp facing the wall about 2 feet away was one of my favorite techniques.

I haven’t miked anything for a long time though. I bought one of the original Hughes & Kettner Redbox units years ago and never looked back. I’ve also used a Rockman X100 (with a noise gate, of course) and I liked the sound. I modified it so I could disable the chorus and the echo at the same time instead of just one of the other. After all, the only group that should sound like Boston is Boston.

My approach is to capture as dry a sound as possible and treat it with digital reverb and delay. I’ve never been one to try to capture the natural sound of a room. It works very well for a lot of people, but personally I like the control of the DI method.

:cool:

After years of exhaustive self instruction via trial and error, I've deduced its is best to mic the cabinet exclusively. I have not heard a fatter guitar tone direct....yet!

VesuviusJay said:
After years of exhaustive self instruction via trial and error, I've deduced its is best to mic the cabinet exclusively. I have not heard a fatter guitar tone direct....yet!
yes... and take a direct guitar line if possible... later flexibility if needed... or add it in at a very low level... or take a 100% wet reverb from it... use it to reamp later... so on...

Re: I agree with V.Jay.

formerlyfzfile said:
Slap an SM57 right on the cloth.

Mic'ing is really the best way. Really:)

-mike

i agree 100%. this is the tried-and-true method of recording electric guitar. crank the amp up (preferably tube), press an SM57 right up against the cloth, pointed at the middle of one of the speakers, and chances are you will get a guitar sound you want. if you don't, try doubling the guitar part and hard panning it left and right, and also experiment with mic placement. try to avoid eq at the mixing stage -- you should get the guitar sound you want during tracking. my $0.02

justin

Back