Recording drums with multiple mics on a 2 input interface.

Chaseroxyursox

I am wanting to know if it is possible to record drums on a two input interface but with multiple mics by using a method such as Y cables, mic splitters, ANYTHING that will save me from having to spend more on a new interface due to the fact that i had just bought a new interface to start up with. Thanks for your time

Y-splitters are not going to work. Neither are mic splitters. Both of those take ONE mic and make MULTIPLE outputs for it. They will not help you.

If you're talking about using them the other way round, i.e. multiple mikes on one gain circuit, in theory it MIGHT work but you're going to get impedance mismatches and the associated frequency response problems, level problems because each mike has it's own output sensitivity, and setting the gain on multiple mikes from a single mic input is going to be a headache of it's own. Then there's the problem of phantom power for condenser mikes.

Get a mixer and be done with it.

Cheers :)

Y-splitters are not going to work. Neither are mic splitters. Both of those take ONE mic and make MULTIPLE outputs for it. They will not help you.

If you're talking about using them the other way round, i.e. multiple mikes on one gain circuit, in theory it MIGHT work but you're going to get impedance mismatches and the associated frequency response problems, level problems because each mike has it's own output sensitivity, and setting the gain on multiple mikes from a single mic input is going to be a headache of it's own. Then there's the problem of phantom power for condenser mikes.

Get a mixer and be done with it.

Cheers :)

thanks a million, thats what i figured what was going to have to be done

How many mics are you actually using ? And are you wanting mono drums ?
You could use a mic mixer like this
G105C_400x300_BS.jpg for 4 mics and use your other interface input for the kick.

Back