Recording Drums. Mic Pre Amp Question.

jay Burd

Hello All.

I record drums with 2 over heads and one mic on kick drum. Garage rock type music. I was wonder what you all thought about this unit for my overhead pre amp. It is the Yamaha MG10 (Yamaha MG10 | Sweetwater.com) . I would be running my two overheads into channel 1 and 2 using a little bit of reverb and a little bit of compression (built into the yamaha) and running the stereo out into my recorder. yay or nay?

If you say thats a bad idea do you have another suggestion?

thanks
-j

What is your "recorder"...?

That will work, if that's how you want to do it...and/or if your recorder only has a 2-channel input.

Otherwise, if you're asking about a preamp, and that's all you really want...then just get a multi-channel preamp.

Provide some more info on the rest of your setup and your goals, so folks can give you more specific suggestions.

What is your "recorder"...?

That will work, if that's how you want to do it...and/or if your recorder only has a 2-channel input.

Otherwise, if you're asking about a preamp, and that's all you really want...then just get a multi-channel preamp.

Provide some more info on the rest of your setup and your goals, so folks can give you more specific suggestions.

Recording into a tascam DP32SD. I am looking for a 2 channel preamp with reverb and compression. Any better ideas than the yamaha

Recording into a tascam DP32SD. I am looking for a 2 channel preamp with reverb and compression. Any better ideas than the yamaha

Yeah...just plug your drum mics into the back of the TASCAM DP32SD.
You have 8 mic inputs right there.

Not sure why you want another mixer/pre to go into that...?

Yeah...just plug your drum mics into the back of the TASCAM DP32SD.
You have 8 mic inputs right there.

Not sure why you want another mixer/pre to go into that...?

Exactly. Why do you think you need the mixer/preamps?

Doesn't the tascam have reverb and compression built in? This isn't the sort of thing you really want to do while you are recording. It's normally better to do it during mixdown.

Rock is the key, not jazz. Rock needs in uncontrolled spaces, close miking. The sound, even with a device with some built in processing sounds more rock.

There's compression then there's compression. A one knob compression is a one trick sound pony. It may happen to be the right compressor ...sometimes, but how often?
Doesn't the tascam have reverb and compression built in? This isn't the sort of thing you really want to do while you are recording. It's normally better to do it during mixdown.
And it still doesn't address this question. Does it have to happen while your tracking?

Back