Recording Drums with just 2 Mics

bilgenc

To any who can help,
I realize it is a challenge, but what would be the best way to record drums using only 2 microphones?
Specifically I have an MXL V67g (large condenser) and an Audix F15
mxlmics.com/microphones/studio/V67g/
musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/audix-fusion-15-mic#review

Thanks for the input!

-caleb

Just mess with the placement...not sure which mic will work where, as I'm not familiar with those mics.

I would start with one mic maybe for the Kick...and then just find a spot for the other one as an "overhead", but not really way up high, maybe just a foot or two up somewhere between the snare/hat and toms.
You will have to try and see where it woll work best.

I'm sure there will be other suggestion from the drummers here.

I'd try the F15 overhead, maybe two stick lengths up from the snare head. Move it around on that plane until you get a nice balance with the toms and not too much hi-hat. Then I'd put the V67G out in front of the kick. Normally I'd rather see a dynamic here because they are a little more rugged (usually), but back it off maybe two feet from the kick and put it level with the top edge of the kick hoop or lower. Note that this placement can cause some phase issues on the bass, but I'd start without worrying about that. Better to re-track if there's an issue than to have to replace a V67G.

To experiment, try reversing the mics but leave the positioning the same. You should only need that front kick mic to reinforce the kick.

I would start with the condenser in front of the kit, about 3 1/2' off the floor and 2 or 3 feet out from the top edge of the kick. Then maybe put the dynamic on the snare for some definition.

Alternatively put the dynamic in the kick and the condenser over the drummer's right should pointing across at the snare.

Back