Recording dilemma....

M

mikgag

I'll try to keep this brief. First I'll outline what I have, then some options on what I'd need. I know alot of you will think this setup is "ghetto" but it actually produces VERY surprising results.

We record our band practices/songs LIVE, in a very good sounding room(dead). We play heavy/rock/punk/metal/loud.

Right now, we record as follows:

Mackie 1604 mixer -> PC w/Audiophile 2496

2 guitars - both cabs mic'd, sounds amazing.
bass - D.I., sounds amazing
vocals - direct into board,then out the Aux sends into PA, sounds amazing.

drums - The drums are recorded using a PZM "room mic" on one of the walls and actually sounds really friggin' good, however, I'd like just a little more definition/volume from the drums without turning up the PZM and introducing more room sound into the mix. These are the solutions I'm thinking of, and would like opinions on which would work best:

1) spaced pair (Recorderman) (a little worried about room bleed, and setup time)
2) spaced pair, but in front of drums, hopefully reducing bleed, but might be a little "cymbal heavy?)
3) 1 mono omni overhead behind drummers head, pointing down at kit.
4) 1 stereo condenser behind drummers head, pointing down at kit.
5) something else? ORTF? second PZM behind the drummer?

Remember, this isn't for tracking, and isn't for "studio" quality requiring $500 microphones, just a little more "kick" from the drums in addition the PZM. I'm actually thinking that I'll be able to turn the PZM down a little after this. I've posted this on a couple of other forums for more responses, so if you see it again, sorry...

thanks

A condenser is going to typically give you the best definition. So quick and dirty Mono condenser behind the drummers head/over shoulder pointed at the kit. If you really want stereo I'd do XY not spaced in a similar position. Experiment with the placement to kill as much guitar bleed as possible.

Omni's will pick up most every thing, and have the best bass response of any mic style. That said you'll probably end up with a lot of mud and not as much definition with an omni.

You need to experiment with different things, and go with whatever it is that works for you.

Your only other alternatives are either to randomly guess what technique might work (flip a coin) ... or go with a recommendation that someone gives you within this thread.

Either one has just as good of a chance of working out.

Back