Recording device for capturing sounds?

Rykachu

I'm interested in capturing sounds to utilize in electronic music. For example I work in a glassblowing studio and there's some cool sounds like the puffy torch and I'm wondering what a good device may be to record sounds to bring into my DAW. I played a bit with my macbook's mic capturing small phrases from anime but the sound is distant. Can anyone point to a tutorial on how to clean up and play with these sounds?

Thanks in advance!

'Flat'ish directional mics -like some small dia. condensers would give more focous for a given distance (as opposed to the omni likely in the lap top, but source-to-mic distance is a lot of how you dial into a sound source.

Something like a zoom h2n would work.

The macbook's internal mike is not going to do you much good.

It's better to capture good sounds to start with, rather than try to fix bad stuff

Chaplain Jerry "Love Is Inspiration"

I'm interested in capturing sounds to utilize in electronic music. For example I work in a glassblowing studio and there's some cool sounds like the puffy torch and I'm wondering what a good device may be to record sounds to bring into my DAW. I played a bit with my macbook's mic capturing small phrases from anime but the sound is distant. Can anyone point to a tutorial on how to clean up and play with these sounds?

Thanks in advance!

I believe if you want to get good sound out...you have to put good sound in and one of the best ways I know of is using my TASCAM DP-004 Pocket Studio. 1. It is very small and portable (uses's AA Batteries (lasts about 8 hrs of continuous use. or AC. 2. It has 2 on-board condenser mic's that render exact reproduction. Additionally if you need to use external mic's there are two 1/4 inputs. 3. Very easy to use with only a small learning curve. Read the easy to follow instruction book. 4. It is mult-format including high quality wave files and you can connect and transfer via high speed USB.

Special Note: Generally you will get better quality sound using a directional condenser mic or a directional dynamic mic such as a Shure SM 57.
I wish you well with your projects.

One of the Zooms as mentioned before...but I'd pair it with a decent short shotgun condenser and a proper (Rycote or similar). I personally can recommend the Rode NTG2 which has the added advantage of not relying on Phantom from your recorder. I also suspect that you soon want some kind of short fishpole mount because you'll rapidly find that getting the mic in the perfect position pays dividends...and that perfect position is often a place that you can't get to with just your arm.

Back