Recording the crowd when recording a show?

sjaguar13

How would I record the crowd at a live show? I was going to plug the soundcard into the mixer and get the instruments from that. No crowd noise is picked up, though. Would I just stick two mics on stage pointing at the crowd, or would I place them at the back of the club somewhere closer to the crowd?

I would think overheads over the crowd itself would be better.
Or, there are soundtracks on CD that contain crowd concert noise...chears, screams, clapping, etc.. that you can import to your sequencer.

My vote is for two overheads at the console to try to ensure they are not knocked over and so maybe you can get some ambient room miking of the band. Optimally they'd be on their own track or tracks, but if it's straight to stereo soundcard I don't know...It COULD suck to have some drunk dude yelling constantly right under those mics. (I certainly wouldn't draw attention to the mics for that very reason.)

BTW-Good thread.

:)

www.FindSounds.com is pretty cool. I will probably end up playing with those just in case the crowd isn't all that enthusiastic.

The mixer is actually off to the side. The bar is on one level, then you go down about 6 steps to get to the floor infront of the stage. The stage is a couple inches shorter than the bar. The floor is really small, though. It's actually smaller than the stage. On the bar, there is a railing at the back of the floor. That's where most of the people are. The railing wraps around and the mixer is not quite at the side, but not directly in the back.

I have two Oktava MC012s. Would those be good?

my $.02:

if you've only got 2 tracks to work with, i'd just stick a set of mics (those MC-012's will do fine) up in the crowd (12ft or higher), about as centered and equadistant between the PA speakers as you can, and record the show that way. it's not as "crisp" as a soundboard recording, but it'll be more true to the sound in the venue. plus, it'll capture the "stage sound"--those sounds not going through the PA (like drums and cymbals, often).

if you've got 4 tracks to work with, run those 2 mics up in the crowd in the same place as above, and then run the soundboard feed to 2 other tracks. mix to taste after the fact.

wade

It's a hard call..

Personally, (On one hand) If I didn't have the spare tracks to experiment and dedicate to the the crowd mics, then I likely wouldn't do it, I'd get the best music tracked first and foremost.

But on the other hand If it was an informal recording that wasn't the end of the world I might try it for future reference.

Maybe you can track the crowd on a seperate machine and add the actual applause after each song into place at your level choice at mixdown.
That MIGHT at least give you some fexibilty and an out in case the performance's are great, but there's only three bums, a wino and a hooker there clapping. By that I mean, it might seem silly and detract from the vibe of an otherwise cool recording if for some reason you're stuck with halfbaked applause irreversibly in the mix.
ALSO in SOME of the live recordings I've heard it kind of seems like there's a 10 to 3 ratio or something... I mean 10 people MIGHT sound like 3 people applauding when it's on tape, so unless there is a pretty wild audience it MIGHT come across "weird" and IMO you don't want to paint yourself into that corner.
(If you can be prepared and comfortable enough to mix it in or abort it once you see the crowd, then of course you'll be in the best possible position.)
I'm certain someone here can give you the lowdown.

I hope you'll follow up and let us know how it turns out.
:)

I've made several straight stereo board dumps at live shows and never had a problem getting the crowd into it. No extra mics needed. However, I should point out that there is normaly 700-1000 people.....soooooo..yeah.

However something I use to do for recording live shows to stereo is use a spaced pair in the house (6-10 feet) then mix in all the lines from the stage into it. If you have a MIX B or a free aux send use it and see if you like it. Crowd makes its way in just fine. That is if they dont suck. =)

Cheers!
Adam

Early Friday, a fight broke out in the club we were planning on recording. 2 people were shot. If there is still going to be the show we were going to record, I highly doubt we get a real good crowd. One guy was shot in the face. He had a hole in his cheek. The other guy had some problem with his hip. Neither injury is life threatening.

sjaguar13 said:
Early Friday, a fight broke out in the club we were planning on recording. 2 people were shot. If there is still going to be the show we were going to record, I highly doubt we get a real good crowd. One guy was shot in the face. He had a hole in his cheek. The other guy had some problem with his hip. Neither injury is life threatening.

Not Minneapolis by chance was it?

Just caught something on the news about a similar incident.

Thanks for the article. The show is tomorrow night. It's still going to happen even after the shooting. Hopefully we get something decent.

Back