Recording a combination of mic and emulated line out signals on a guitar amplifier?

copperandstars

Hello,

I am currently in the process of learning the best way to record a 4X12 cab with rock distortion. I have a Marshall AVT150H head hooked up to a Crate Blue Voodoo cab (the one with Celestion speakers). I am using a SM57 microphone.
My question is...is it a good idea to combine the signal with a mixer of the SM57 micing the cabnit and the emulated speaker recording out that my head is equipt with?

Thanks,
Ryan

copperandstars said:
Hello,

I am currently in the process of learning the best way to record a 4X12 cab with rock distortion. I have a Marshall AVT150H head hooked up to a Crate Blue Voodoo cab (the one with Celestion speakers). I am using a SM57 microphone.
My question is...is it a good idea to combine the signal with a mixer of the SM57 micing the cabnit and the emulated speaker recording out that my head is equipt with?

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan,
i've tried doing what you describe, and I eventually end up eliminating any direct out, or emulated outputs from guitars. What you may want to try instead, if you can, is stick another mic someplace else around your cab.

I've done stuff like putting a mic behind the cab or just to the side... this helps fill out the sound by picking up lower freqs.

I record a Marshall avt50 using these techniques and can produce that nice full and smooth distortion.

Hope this helps a little.

I did this, too, and was quite pleased with the sound. IMO, the direct was a very high-ended, clean, proper and 'surgical' sound that had absolutely no 'life'. Try to get the 'earthier' sound from your mic.

What may work even better, is to use a DIbox BEFORE the amp, and record the unamped sound, too, to be able to process it lateron with an amp-sim. I found it quite helpful whan recording very heavily distorted guitars, in order to achieve a little more definition...

aXel

I haven't tried this yet, but this Behringer Ultra GI-100 direct-box I bought allows one to tap a direct signal from your amp output. You connect it in series between your amplifier and cabinet.

Or, you can take the direct feed from your guitar before it hits the amp.

I really do have to try this and see what it sounds like. Might be good to try mix this with the mic'd cab.

Good luck.

Back