Recording clean + live sound

enforcer5151

Hello,

I have been reading home recording for some time and normally I am able to find a answer to almost anything from you guys :) Thanks. I now trouble myself with a recording task I'm not sure how I should do it.

My setup is simple I use a tazcam US-1800 directly connected via USB to my PC or laptop during practices and recordings. I run reaper or cubase ( normally Reaper).

first guitar LINE 6 Spider II 150watt head with Ultrastack BG412H 4x12. Effects used is a Line 6 POD XT live.

2nd guitar is Kustom quad 200w with off brand 4x12 and also Line 6 XT live.

Now I would like to record 2 tracks from each guitar while playing live somehow. The XT live has some nice effects however when I do any post work the amp models just make it really hard to work with. So what I wounder is, if there a way I can direct a guitar to the XT live but also bypass the effects pedal so that I record just a clean track with no effects or anything? So I can add in distortion, reverb, amp models, ect later on in the DAW. Things like POD farm have a lot of good effects and I also have Peavey ReValver mk2 I believe. I though of looking for direct boxes with 2 outputs or something, but just not sure.

I would love to hear the options and opinions of this forum as Im sure many of you know what its like being the only one in your band that does anything recording and you seem to speak in tongue when trying to ask bend members lol.

Thanks in advanced.

Put a DI box in front of the live and take the clean signal from it.
Nady, Behringer and others make these. Also, if you can find them, the old MXR Noise gate/line driver pedals were quiet and awesome (I have one.)

Last edited:
Awesome guys thanks alot! When you said Behringer made one I remembered I do have one my old band mate gave me and I never used, I ran out to the practice room and gave it a shot on my rig and it works flawlessly!! Now I just need to pick up one more and were set! Thanks again guys so made my day :)

RTFM! Does the Line6 box have a "Recording Mode" where it sends effects to one output and clean DI to the other?
Yeah, I was trying to do that first and it only has the USB, 2 outs for left and right and a phones, all that actually use the boards effects.

Actually, the live only has direct and USB outs. No DI, whereas the Behringer will come in pre-live and give a balanced XLR output...
You can buy the Behringer Ultra DI for $20 at your local Guitar Center.

Thats what I have the "Behringer Ultra DI" I just gave it a quick test today, I may buy another one I see a few other DI boxes that mite work. But im concerned how well the recording will come out. I know I read some reviews on the cheaper ones where they had some bad hiss in recordings. How is the Ultra DI when recording?

Jusy record it and find out. You have everything you need, just lay something down and see what happens.

Back