recording classical guitar

daveblue222

hey

im looking to record a bunch of classical pieces. all i have to use is my samson c03 (omni) and boss digital br 532. what would you guys recommend for mic placement and pickup pattern? and settings for reverb and compression in cubase?

i have recorded some solo classical stuff before but it comes out a little to thin and not quite "full"

ideally it would be better to have 2 mics for stereo but until then ill have to make do.

any advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks

dave

Looks like that Samson is switchable, you should choose Omni. You'll have to experiment with mic placement. Try near the 12th fret and angled towards the sound hole, maybe 6 - 12 inches away. Move the mic around, but just by a little at a time. It doesn't take much movement to make a big difference. Just got to experiment until you're happy with what you hear.

The room will have a big influence on your sound. A bigger room is better, and quiet!!

If you're thinking of another mic for recording your acoustic, I recommend you check out the Naiant Omni's. I've heard a couple of samples from them and they are great. Plus, they are very inexpensive.

I do not get a great sound out of my steel string acoustic. But these are the methods most recommended on the boards.

Good luck and post some samples when you get something you like.

Back