recording classical guitar

MGS

I would like to record a classical guitarist on my cassette 4-track. I have a number of mics (dynamic and condenser) and am interested in opinions regarding mic placement, how many mics, etc.

Mark

Yo MGS [monosodiumglutamate?]

I have a great classical guitar patch on my Yamaha DX-7 synth; and, I record it direct into the MD-8.

Now, if you are playing your ax with no amplification, you will still have a good strong signal; I think the mic you choose will be most important. You can check the mic section of this site, as well as other information available, and this should help you.

When you add in some FX to your ax, you should sound great.

The vibes from a classical guitar come through pretty well with any decent recorder, 4/8/ track digital would be best; but if you have cassette tape, you should still come out with a decent sound. Make sure your signal is up there on your meter scale, right near clip.

Experiment a bit; check this site for more succint information, especially from the guitar players.

Happy sounds,

Green Hornet

I use my classical guitar for Brazilian jazz. I've had good luck using a Crown CM700 mic because it tends to avoid picking up 'squeaks'. I place it near the soundhold in such a way as to avoid low end boominess, and on another channel use a Shure SM57 further away (both into mic preamps) then record to a 4-track cassette recorder. On mixdown I pan both to opposite fields (usually channel 1/left around 10:00 and channel 2/right around a 2:00 position). Sometimes adding something like 'chorus' in the effects send/return makes for a bigger sound.

my classical mic placement

i've got a classical with an internal pickup. i record 3 tracks. one channel through the pickup with a whirlwind direct box, an audio technica 4033 close to the hole, and an audio technica 4000c positioned near the end of the neck but angled so it faces the hole.

Thanks guys,

The guitarist has many instruments but prefers one without a pickup. I'll use some of the suggestions here for mic placement and any more suggestions that follow.

Mark

So far I've had pretty good results using my AT4047 about 6 inches away, at the top of the neck but angled toward the sound hole. I would like to try adding an additional mic, as the other guys have suggested. When mixing, I added a little eq at 350 and 3K (narrow bands). The 3K is really good for getting that precise sound of the fingernail hitting the string. Also, I suggest trying Hannabach 850 PSP strings, which sound great and cut down on string noise. Now I'm no virtuoso. You can listen to some of my results at http://www.MP3.com/LarryKolker.

Back