recording a bass drum

hey
i have used a very similar set-up as you, except now i have a mic preamp (tubessence) and i use an RNC compressor. this compressor is widely considered to be the best in its price range ($175) and comparable to $1000 units. everybody that uses them swear by em.

the compressor won't buy you much with the specifics of the bass drum sound really...you definitely don't want to use it like that as a general rule...though i do use a compressor as an effect sometimes. compression on drums is used to control the overall amplitude dynamics, and should be fairly transparent. if it makes a huge impact in the sound of individual drums, you are using as it as a substitute for good placement/EQing

from the sounds of it, your main problem is placement and EQing. for one, it sounds like you may have the mic too close to the front head. back off! i've got some of my best bass drum sounds by miking the bass drum 12" or more away from the drum. give it some air. on your board, crank up the bass EQ to about 3oclock, and have the mid and highs a little lower. play with the mids a lot, and keep the bass up. you want the kick to have definition, but you don't want it to sound like a paper bag. also, reverb can definitely thicken it up, and when mixed with music, it is surprising how much reverb goes relatively unnoticed (other than it sounds fuller). also, the overheads can capture highs of the kick better sometimes, and also can round out the bass sound. don't be afraid to turn up the bass on the overheads.

anyway, drums are a bitch to record, so don't feel bad. bass drum is particularly tricky i think.

thank you pitchfork so much. you seem to know quite a bit and seem to have a close set up to mine .. if you could.. IM me sometime if you get the chance. thanks!!

screen name : xmikeeleyx

also is there a good compressor (it can be a little more expensive) but goes onto a rack? that would be awsome.

is the rnc thing a brand? or a model of a brand? or what?

you're welcome for the info.

the rnc compressor is a model made by FMR audio. click on the link in my last post and read about it. they make different stuff.

it's a half rack unit so you can put it in your rack, but you would need something to hold it in there, like a half rack mounting unit.

i just have mine sitting on top of my rack along with my external converter and some other crap.

personally i'm not into the sample thing unless i am overtly sampling crap, which i do. but for drums, i always prefer a real kit...i also like the challenge of recording real drums, then when i listen to it, i know that it's me...not some plug-in.

so, problem solved maybe in some way, but.....

plus, sampled percussion often comes out sounding sterile. i know there are exceptions, but as a general rule....yep.

I don't know about sterile. You can always blend as little or as much as you like of your sound with the sampled one

transmission said:
so okay i need the get that RNC compressor and with the AKG D112 the bass drum should sound nice? thanks again

I wouldn't bank on that but they are good tools to use.

Back