Recording bass with compression

killthepixelnow

Do it right or dont do it
Hello guys, I'm about to record bass for an album and I've been wondering if you find my approach correct. OK, here's the rig:

BASS --> Compressor --> Bass Attack --> DAW --> Computer

I'm using the bass attack as a DI Box, one signal goes crystal clean and the other have some distortion and EQ applied (later on I will mix those signals to taste).

My big concern is that, although I tame the peaks of the clean signal with the compressor, I'm squashing the other signal too much since there's a compressor and a distortion at the same time.

What do you think? Should I get rid of the CS3 before the Bass Attack pedal?

bass_attack-compressor.jpg

I'd really appreciate your input on this issue. Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't worry about it, but if it bothers you, plug straight into the distortion thing and put the compressor on the clean output.

I'd just use a plugin in the DAW, assuming you're monitoring that way, if you need compression going in. It's probably going to be quieter than that pedal.

I'd just use a plugin in the DAW, assuming you're monitoring that way, if you need compression going in. It's probably going to be quieter than that pedal.

That's an interesting idea. Do you reckon is better to track the clean signal with the compressor or to apply the compressor afterwards?

That's an interesting idea. Do you reckon is better to track the clean signal with the compressor or to apply the compressor afterwards?
If you are going to use ITB compression there really isn't any need to record it to disk when tracking . If you need to hear it compressed to get the part right you can instantiate on either an aux that is output to main or on the bass audio track as it wont be recorded since the effect is on the output side

Having the compressor upstream of the Bass Attack will change the way the distortion acts. Whether that's good or bad is up to you, but it can't be replicated after the fact.

Well, as both other responses suggest, it's really up to what you need to hear to get the part down.

I'm not a [real] bass player, so I'm completely happy going with just plugging in the bass, recording, and then running it through an amp sim (flip-top, 15" 98% of the time, play with "amp" EQ switches/knobs, gain & master, then add commpression ITB). But, I know there are a ton of bass tones I'm not trying to emulate, and for which that approach would probably not work, so best advice is just try different things.

^^^ +1
It really depends on what sound you are trying to get. I have just run an old Ibanez through a distorting Chinese fender frontman 25 guitar amp on the theory that guitars sound good through a Bassman so why not. The result is nasty in a very cool way and I'm determined to use it in a track somewhere.

Having the compressor upstream of the Bass Attack will change the way the distortion acts. Whether that's good or bad is up to you, but it can't be replicated after the fact.

Yep.

To further muddy the waters, distortion is another form of compression, so both of those FX are going to drastically color everything that comes after.

There really isn't a great answer to this TBH. The reality is you need to try as many setups as you can and go with what works because there really isn't a wrong answer on how to do it.

try dumping the compressor before the crunch.
Try compressing after you record in the DAW.
Try the compressor in the loop if you have one.

Back