recording basics

nassa

I'm counting on someone out there to just give me a simple run down of recording a vocal track with my mixer that is running into my pc where it is connected to cubase. Any help? I'm getting desperate now. Thanx

Vocal mic plugs into a channel on the mixer

Decide what send option to use.. like mono out or main or aux

Mixer to the soundcard (line in)

Hit record in Cubase and sing away!

I hope i'm not giving this too basic!!?!?:D

I am assuming my 'control room' is cubase in my pc.... do I assume right?
How do you decide what 'send option' to use...what does this mean?
No...basic is good! Good good good! I need simple, direct instructions that I can't question...
hope you don't mind all these little questions and I'm still trying to befriend my manual.
Nassa

I am assuming my 'control room' is cubase in my pc.... do I assume right?
How do you decide what 'send option' to use...what does this mean?

Post? Pre?

Ok. A pre-amp is the first stage of amplification of a signal. But his has nothing to do with the pre button on my desk does it. in the manual it says,

"PRE- When the pre switch is pressed in, aux send 1 is sourced pre-fader."

All I get from this is that I can press this little button called PRE and it will affects the aux 1 somehow.

What does pre fader mean? what does post fader mean?

Nassa

Pre Fader and Post Fader are both related to the Efx/Aux Loop. To put it as simply as I can, if a signal is sent into the Efx/Aux Loop Post Fader then it's volume will be affected by changes in the level of the Channel and Buss Faders. Thus, as you increase the volume on a Channel or Buss you also increase the level of the signal going into the Loop. And, likewise, if you decrease the volume you decrease the level going into the Loop. This is the normal mode when adding Effects to a mix as you want the volume of the Effects to increase or decrease as you move faders up and down.

If the signal is sent to the Loop Pre Fader then the volume remains at whatever level you set it at, regardless of what you do with the Channel or Buss Faders. This mode is normally used either for Providing a Monitor Mix for the Talent that is independent of the Main Mix (so you can make adjustments to your heart's content without affecting what they're hearing) or Foldback for musicians onstage (which is essentially the same idea). You can use a Pre Fade Send to drive an Effects Unit, but it's more in the nature of a novelty than anything serious (like fading out a reverbed vocal to leave only the reverb).

Clear as a swamp?

Frustrated

I think I get what you mean mark7. Thanx. I don't think that's my problem. I just want a dry signal to playback after it's been recorded as a dry signal. (without reverb)!! Frustrated with this thing -not you. Process by elimination though....so I now know what those buttons do and that I can look somewhere else on the desk for the answer.
Any more ideas? I am totally lost now.

Confused

"Patch each track..." what does this mean and how do I do it?
I have a mic plugged into channel 1. I don't have a gtar lead or anything - ...?

At the back of your recording machine will be input jacks and output jacks. Normally there'll be one of each for each track plus a stereo pair of outputs for monitoring.

All you have to do is plug one end of a cable into each of the Output jacks and the other end into a Channel on your mixer. Easy peasy :)

Confused

"Patch each track..." what does this mean and how do I do it?
I have a mic plugged into channel 1. I don't have a gtar lead or anything - ...?

Oh dear God. You're using a bloody computer :rolleyes:

Okay, nip round the back and take a look at the soundcard. How many ins and outs does it have?

And, to cheer you up I'll post a gratuitous picture of Mastering Mistress Emily Lazar in this thread.

Or, at least a link to one

lazar.jpg

You're welcome :D

You're using a very basic soundcard, aren't you.

Use the speaker output to feed the signal back into the mixer. But don't plug the cable into the Aux Inputs. Plug it into the Stereo Buss Input.

i have no idea about soundcards!
Ok...I have ran my cables/plugs from the green output of the pc and put them in stereo aux returns as opposed to the aux send ones, like they were in. is this right?

I've just realised that throughout this entire thread you haven't once mentioned what your mixer is.

It's a Behringer , isn't it! :D

Oh, and; you're getting warmer.

Oh No! Don't tell me you're a Behringer hater too?!! looking in at all these boards I see there is a love/hate relatonship with people towards this brand. I got it as a birthday present - which was a few weeks ago....you can imagine how I'm bursting at the seams about now!!!!! Yes. It's a UB1204-pRO/UB1204FX-PRO. And I'm using Cubase on the computer. Haven't used it before now. Have used acid but that's about my experience with music software. I am determined to get there though and I am stoked that you are helping me.

Back