recording basics

Hi Mark7,

Glad to see your return. I tried playing something back (drum loops recorded on cubase, prior to getting the mixer).

I do not get sound at all in the headphones on playback.

???

woops!!!!!!!!!

Er....just decided I'd go to options - to audio....and click the 'enable audio' button. Hmmmm...can hear tracks now.

You know, this'd be a lot easier if you didn't have to scroll through drop down menus, and whathaveyou, just to find the simplest functions ;)

Just tried recording some vocals again. Alas, I get a straight line in the "box". No wave formation....

I went to the library today. They didn't have much there but, I got a book. 4 actually. 2 on multimedia, 1 on mp3's and "Sound Recording Practice" by John Borwick - which is 575 pages!

I'm way too impatient to read all that first. It seems pretty complicated. Boring too.

Any recommendations in the literature side of things?

nassa said:
Just tried recording some vocals again. Alas, I get a straight line in the "box". No wave formation....

I went to the library today. They didn't have much there but, I got a book. 4 actually. 2 on multimedia, 1 on mp3's and "Sound Recording Practice" by John Borwick - which is 575 pages!

I'm way too impatient to read all that first. It seems pretty complicated. Boring too.

Any recommendations in the literature side of things?

Catch 22

Yakes! Our last page!!

The track I am laying down now. i just got it to play back other stuff I've done - ie. loops straight out of cubase. Any tracks that come from the mixer have given me the original problemo of fx. But now we've changed the cables around I can't get a signal recorded at all.

This is weird.

Okay. Is the mixer the one with the built in effects?

If so, can you disable the effects in the mixer?

Yes. it has a built in FX unit. The only way I've disabled them is to make sure all the aux knobs are turned off/ hard left. Is there something else? Because this is the stage where i will have a dry signal in the phones but that's not what the computer is told. !

You have a dry signal in the headphones but it's getting to Cubase wet?

Hmmmmmmmmm

Do you have an ordinary common or garden cassette recorder handy?

Nope. Only an ol' sony stereo...does have tape deck in it though.
I am disheartened and depressed with the whole thing now.

Try just playing something through the mixer without it being plugged into the computer. If you still hear a wet signal then it's the onboard effects and you need to download the manual from Behringer to sort it out.

my goodness mark

you are truly a patient man.

i promise to come bothering you specifically when i get this rough cut of 'unchained melody' recorded.

and i'm serious =)

Look Boze!

I am truly serious too! ...Seriously truly serious....Definitely NOT about 'unchained melody' renditions though (Forgive me).

I agree totally though....Mark has been a God send.

I am on a mission tonight...this whole reverb on the signal thingo is gonna go. I mean, somehow I'm going to right this wrong in the chain. I'll let you know when I've dominated the bug!

Cheers, nassa.

hey nassa- i'm sorry- i mean no offense. i was just looking at the frequency and consistency of posts that you were getting and feeling the love as far as how helpful the ppl are here.

and i really am trying to do some solo guitar vocal recording myself and i'm also lacking some basic production techniques since i've mostly made dance music with samples to this point.

i hope i didn't insult you- that wasn't my intention.

have a good weekend and good luck with your hw setup.

Back