Recording to backing track help

farmskis

I am completely new to this and I am looking for some help to get me started recording my wife sing to some backing tracks. My equipment list is listed below and I would like to know the best way to hook it up to my computer to record with audacity. I ideally would like to end up with the backing track and vocal track as two separate tracks recorded so I can edit individually. I am not sure if this is possible with my current equipment.

Equipment:
Recording mic is at2020
mixer MG82CX
USB audio interface Behringer 222
Pair of monitoring headphones
laptop with audacity and also has the mp3 backing tracks on it

My idea is to play the backing track through the monitor headphones so she can hear the track and herself sing but only record her voice if this is possible. I think this would be the best to be able to edit either track if needed. Sorry for the newb post. I appreciate everyones help.

You've got the idea, but what you need to use is a real DAW instead of audacity. You put the backing tracks in separate tracks in the DAW, then record to another track. Reaper is free to download and try out. $60 to register.

Thank you for your reply and suggestion! I will definitely look into it since at that price point it seems worth it. With my equipment am I able to isolate the voice to record? Someone had previous stated I would need a multiple buss mixer...

It's all done in the software and that's exactly what multitrack recording is all about. You absolutely do not need a mixer to record - even the one you have is of no use here, most likely. Read the sticky thread in the Newbies forum about mixers and home recording.

i understood that, what I was referring to was.....

With the Behinger interface having only RCA's, he needs the mixer (that he listed) for the XLR and phantom power.

Fair enough... wasn't across the detail of the mixer... can't believe people actually make "interfaces" that don't have XLRs and phantom power!

can't believe people actually make "interfaces" that don't have XLRs and phantom power!

You would expect interfaces to come with phantom and XLR, but there is actually a fair demand for no-frills interfaces . . . for example, from people who are simply transferring material from analog sources (tape, vinyl) to their PCs.

You would expect interfaces to come with phantom and XLR, but there is actually a fair demand for no-frills interfaces . . . for example, from people who are simply transferring material from analog sources (tape, vinyl) to their PCs.

Yeah, I guess so... I'm always wondering how people end up with the various bits of kit they end up with when they lob here... and I hope it's because they previously had a use for exactly such an interface rather than having just bought one without the very features they'll be needing...

Back