Recording an acoustic pedal harp

wen

Here's my new challenge... recording this beautiful pedal harp.

Currently I have:
-PreSonus AudioBox A/D converter box. This has some internal channel strip thingies that let you hear effects as you record, but I never use them.
-Studio One
-Windows 7, quad core processing, 8 gig, 64-bit, 3.4 Ghz CPU

2 large diaphragm condenser mics:
-Gauge ECM 87
-Samson CL7 (which has a true capacitor condenser mic element, which is supposed to be warmer, brighter and bigger sounding than electret-based elements).

Ideally I would have 2 of the same mics, but for now I'm just doing some tests and trying to match the levels of the 2 mics I have. (I don't have room to set up an X-Y config, which I've read needs to be 6-10' from the subject, so I'm doing spaced pairs using the 1:3 rule, about a foot to the right side of the harp, and 3 feet to the left of that one for the 2nd mic). The sound will definitely be better using 2 mics vs. just one and I've seen several engineers stagger mics on either side of the harp, pointing away from the bass strings to different areas of the harp, at a slight angle to the strings.

This mic placement makes the most sense to me. The sound comes from the sounding board of a harp, not out the bottom?? as I've seen some people say. And putting a mic inside the chamber would seem to pick up way too much finger/pedal noise.

So the first question is, what mic(s) to get/use for the pair.

I looked at the sample recordings I've done so far, and see a noticeable spike in the 200 Hz range, even when I am playing only in the highest register of the harp. There is very little response below 100 Hz, even when I'm playing in the lowest range, but, since there is supposed to be a big bass response, I pointed both mics directly at the midrange of the harp. (I'd always heard that the mid-range is what was 'hot' on a harp, but... this is what I read just now, that there is supposed to be this big bass response.)

Anyway, since small-diaphragm condensers don't contain the low-mid (200-500 Hz) warmth of a larger-diaphragm, I'm wondering if these would be a good choice to help even things out. I don't want it to sound TOO bright and airy, though, and also the large diaphragms reportedly have less self-noise and I want as clean a recording as possible.

I can EQ the recording after, of course ... but I'm debating: Should I get another Gauge? (I'm sure it is a better mic than the Samson, which isn't even made anymore). Or 2 totally different mics. I've read that Oktava might be good, or (in an older post), an engineer reported using 2 small dia. cond. mics, KM-84s but this was before Oktava, MXL, or SP came out I believe.

The second question is about a pre-amp.

Admittedly, I am not the best engineer, so I could be doing something wrong, but it seems hard to get sufficient level without introducing noise. So I'm thinking I might need to get a pre-amp.

Then the question is solid state, or tube. Since these will only be used to record the harp (and maybe my baritone ukulele), maybe tube is good so I have less to mess with in the box. I heard about 'hybrid' preamps that give you the option of both, but don't find any brand names I recognize.

An engineer suggested Great River-A Designs, Pacifica, and True Systems P-Solo, but, this was when we were discussing my electric harp.

I know the answer is experimentation.. but... I can't buy all the gear in the world.

Back