Recording Acoustic Guitar and Vocals with an AKG 414 and Shure KSM44 at my disposal

foreverdown

Ok, so I'm going to be recording my acoustic guitar, a yamaha compass series, and at my disposal I have an aKG 414 and a Shure KSM 44. I was looking for some suggestions on some setup and mic configurations to try once I get started. Any suggestions you guys can offer will be greatly appreciated. I'm also looking for suggestions on how you might use these two mics to record a loud and dynamic tenor. I'm just looking for some general ideas of how to configure/position the mics for use in these two applications. Oh, I forgot to mention that I also have a Studio Projects C1 and a Shure SM57 if you would want to use those in a config suggestion.

Thanks everyone!

I'm thinking either mic would work for the guitar or the tenor.

I've used a 44 on guitar before. About 1 foot from the instument pointed at about the 13th fret.

As far as the tenor, probably the 414 , with a pop filter and a compressor to keep from getting digital overs. If he's as dynamic as you say.

Heh well he is me. Its for recording me. Sorry for my ignorance on the subject, but what are digital overs? I Also don't have a hardware compressor. Only a software compressor which I add onto the vocals after recording ( this way I can make changes). I may get a big slap on the wrist for doing this, but its all I have right now.

If you're audio interface and software supports it, record at 24 bits. Keep your recording level peaks in the software at between -6db and -3db. At 24 bits, this should be enough signal-to-noise ratio. Digital overs are clipping the converters which cause digital distortion. Not very pleasing to the ear. Don't strap a software compressor on it. You can use it during mixdown. It won't help your tracking.

I'd audition both mics and see which one works better for you. Mics and voices are funny. I bought a Neuman TLM103 to record my vocals without trying it first. Bad mistake. I still use my 69.00 MXL 990. It sounds worlds better on my voice. The Neuman kicks major tail on my buddies voice though.

Good luck.

Thanks axeman. I'm probably going to be playing around with the mics for a whole week before I even begin recording.

Back