recording acoustic guitar with Shure SM58

xfatalherox

hey everyone. im about to start recording some of my acoustic stuff, but all i have to work with is a shure sm58. could someone please give me some recording techniqes to get a decent sound with this, such as EQ, mic placement etc... thanx

All I can say is just trust your ears they will tell you what sounds good. As far as microphone placement I would put the microphone in front of the soundhole first, about 6 to 12 inches away and see how that sounds. If you have two microphones then I would put one in front of the sound hole and one a little farther down the neck approx 12 inches away from the sound hole and see how that sounds. I have gotten some good sounds dual micing acoustics that way. If the mic in front of the sound hole sounds too much like crap, then move the mic slightly up the neck until you get something reasonable.

You can always record one track in front of the sound hole, then record another track with the mic farther down the neck. I would also definately make a stereo image by recording one track then panning it all the way left, then recording the same thing and panning it all the way right.

As far as eq goes I would level everything out and see what you have. Some acoustics sound good and don't really need a lot of eq. After you see what you have then your ears should tell you if you need a little bit of something. Also if there are going to be other instruments on the track like bass guitars, you don't want to add too much bottom to the acoustic guitars. If the acoustic is the only instrument on the track then you are going to want the sound to fill up most of the eq spectrum and tweak accordingly.

I know I have to do very little eq'ing on my acoustic guitar tracks, but I also record with a condenser microphone.

I hope that helps a bit.

xfatalherox said:
hey everyone. im about to start recording some of my acoustic stuff, but all i have to work with is a shure sm58. could someone please give me some recording techniqes to get a decent sound with this, such as EQ, mic placement etc... thanx

I really suggest you go after a condensor to record an acoustic guitar, or otherwise you won't have a very bright or open sound, even f you ease the pain with EQ. A dynamic can only give goosd results on acoustic guitar when you want a more aggresive bluesy sound.

Mic placement. Try different setting, as simple as that! The soundhole usually doesn't give great results, so with one mic you should need a balance between soundhole and frettboard.

About EQ'ing, acoustic guitars can usually use some exra presence, and when used in a dense mix, could lose some low mids.

Back