record voices like in this video

Pietro94

Goodmorning everyone,

I sing in a vocal quartet and I take care of the audio.
We recorded many songs already, but I would start recording differently.
I wish I could record the audio as much like in this video:
link to youtube: Quando dal terzo cielo - Palestrina - YouTube

I ask for your expert ears: how the audio was recorded and edited in this video ?

Thank you all

Peter

P.S .: need these expensive microphones, or can I use mid-range microphones?( My audio interface is a Steinberg ur44)

A deep pockets excursion into belts and braces.

The first thing is the singers - the Kings Singers are superb musicians, and if you hear them giving a live concert, you find they have an amazing sense of internal balance. They always sound good and balanced. So you put a near field mic on each member for the clarity. You then use a suitable stereo technique for the more distant mixing - any of the popular techniques that suit the building. Then you do the balancing and blending from the multitrack - probably spending ages on time alignment. Matching the distant miking with the near-field channels, setting everything in it's own space.

They had Neumanns and AKGs in the shots - they're fine, but the popular cheaper brands would be probably not streets away, quality wise. The killer component is the space. The Kings Singers in that space would sound good with quite cheap mics - they just sound better with what they had. With buildings like that, the secret from my perspective is monitoring what you are recording while setting up so you can move things around. Very often, beginners end up with a huge wash of sound that has no clarity at all - just sounds big. Now we can record multi-track so easily, most people do it. So much depends on how good your ears are. The better the choir, the easier they are to record.

Back