Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Record in Mono Or Stereo

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    To add to all this ......... You can also record a mono signal (guitar or vocals) and make it a stereo signal later on. One way to do this is to copy your mono track (track 1) and paste it into empty tracks 2 and 3. Now you have 3 tracks of the same mono signal.
    Then you drag track 2 slightly ahead of track 1 and drag track 3 slightly behind track 1. (maybe 15ms each)
    Pan tracks 2 and 3 hard left and right (or whatever your ears tell you).
    This will give you full, natural stereo chorus type of effect.

There's also the difference between headphones and monitors. Stereo or chorus type processing sounds pleasing in headphones, but warbly in monitors, whereas a mono signal either centered, or panned sounds great on monitors but borring in headphones. Just something to keep in mind.
    Many people mix with headphones nowadays and get caught up in too much stereo processing because it sounds better in headphones, but when you play it through monitors, it sounds like crap.

Thanks
    The second paragraph explains why the copy/paste stereo effect generally sucks. If it is warbly in speakers, it will sound like thin dog crap if it ever gets summed to mono.

Copy/paste just sucks.
    Jay Walsh
    Farview Recording. I am also the forum spokesmodel for Terasyne Amplification

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Farview View Post
    The second paragraph explains why the copy/paste stereo effect generally sucks. If it is warbly in speakers, it will sound like thin dog crap if it ever gets summed to mono.

Copy/paste just sucks.
    I agree it's not for everyone. I would much rather record an acoustic guitar with 3 mics (2 x stereo and one center), but if all you have is one mic and you want a wide sound, this is one way to get it. That's all I was trying to point out.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by raybbj View Post
    To add to all this ......... You can also record a mono signal (guitar or vocals) and make it a stereo signal later on. One way to do this is to copy your mono track (track 1) and paste it into empty tracks 2 and 3. Now you have 3 tracks of the same mono signal.
    Then you drag track 2 slightly ahead of track 1 and drag track 3 slightly behind track 1. (maybe 15ms each)
    Pan tracks 2 and 3 hard left and right (or whatever your ears tell you).
    This will give you full, natural stereo chorus type of effect.
    When I first started out recording my tunes, I did the copy/paste/delay/pan thing and thought it was so cool and almost sounded like a wall of guitars. Then one day I realized my songs are 5 minutes long average. It only takes another 5 minutes to record a second guitar track.... so much better for not a lot of hassle.

Thanks
    Whats the point of creating multiple mono tracks and offsetting them?

If you want stereo chorus, just put in a stereo chorus. Mission accomplished.

Thread Information