Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for upgrades/additional gear

Thanks

Recommendations for upgrades/additional gear

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey all, I'm thinking of investing some more money in to my set up and I'm not sure where to start as I'm not that knowledgable in the technicalities of this.

My budget is around 5000 (around $6000). Currently I own an TLM 103 and an apogee duet 2.

The items I'm considering buying are a high end compressor, preamp and maybe a new mic.

My main aim is recording vocals and getting the best sound possible (considering budget ofc). I'm also wondering if I could do without a compressor and still get high quality vocals, or if it's something definitely worth buying.

Sorry for asking such generic questions, wasn't sure what else to do!

Thanks
    It would help if you described what it is you are doing...type of music, how you plan to record...etc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    It would help if you described what it is you are doing...type of music, how you plan to record...etc.
    And.. given all the posts lately re 'noise / 'quality problems with basic setups.. How you fairing so far with these totally adequate and quality pieces?

My main aim is recording vocals and getting the best sound possible (considering budget ofc). I'm also wondering if I could do without a compressor and still get high quality vocals, or if it's something definitely worth buying.
    Totally. There's a few reasons for compressing on the way in, but way down on the scale of 'make or break' things in high quality tracking!

How about room noise / mic area treatment? Except for close micing guitar cabs, that's a pretty big one.
    Placebo stomps 96k ....... Recent projects
    Ray Catfish Copeland 'Got Love Jim Goodman 'Southern Steel

Thanks
    And the obvious questions:
    What monitors do you currently have?
    What acoustic treatment do you have in the room?
    What don't you like about your current recordings?
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mjbphotos For This Useful Post:

Chicago area, probably looking for more coffee.
    Thanks
    SM7b and a bunch of broadband trapping. And better monitors.

Granted -- I don't even know what monitors you're using. But it's a rare occasion that "better monitoring" isn't a great idea. ;-)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    I make r&b music

Thanks
    I've got some broadband bass traps and I'd say the room is well treated. That isn't the issue. I feel like the current recordings are lacking some warmth and strength to them ifthat makes sense. I want to add these without compromising that clean r&b sound

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mixsit View Post
    And.. given all the posts lately re 'noise / 'quality problems with basic setups.. How you fairing so far with these totally adequate and quality pieces?

Totally. There's a few reasons for compressing on the way in, but way down on the scale of 'make or break' things in high quality tracking!
    Honestly it's not really that much of a problem right now. The vocals are nice. I just think they can be improved.

I noticed a lot artists in the industry use compressors so I thought adding one to my setup would bring me up to industry standards equipmentwise.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Malik161 View Post
    Honestly it's not really that much of a problem right now. The vocals are nice. I just think they can be improved.

I noticed a lot artists in the industry use compressors so I thought adding one to my setup would bring me up to industry standards equipmentwise.
    Rather than a 'standard, I'd offer tracking with compression falls into a work style and preference.
    While tracking- [can] lead to 'closer to finished sound' earlier in the process. [maybe..]
    But then there's many of us won't know the 'exactly perfect' compression for a given track-- without being in the controlled context of the mix.
    It might be fair to say someone with lots of experience, tracking someones else behind the glass in a proper studio is likely apt to make better choices committing the sound on the way in.

Having said that.. buy some nice pieces, have fun and learn. I did (...not in a Proper Studio btw :>)
    Placebo stomps 96k ....... Recent projects
    Ray Catfish Copeland 'Got Love Jim Goodman 'Southern Steel

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mixsit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Malik161 View Post
    I've got some broadband bass traps and I'd say the room is well treated. That isn't the issue. I feel like the current recordings are lacking some warmth and strength to them ifthat makes sense. I want to add these without compromising that clean r&b sound
    Just curious what you actually have for 'broadband bass traps'. Not trying to be a dick but those are actually two different things in one description. A bass trap may be able to trap a broadband of frequencies, but it is not the main purpose. Please don't tell me you have Auralex wedges...

As to your original post, I would make sure you have the room treated before even adding a high end preamp. Not that they are not a great upgrade, but monitors and room treatment will be the first order of investment before mics or preamps. The room acoustics will be the first order/cheapest improvement by far.

That being said, I do love my SM7b with a Vintech X73i. But my room(s) are well treated so I actually get the benefit of the expense.

As far a a compressor on the way in; I would say don't bother even trying until you have enough experience with your room for like maybe 10 years before you waste your money. Unless you are recording to tape, there really is absolutely no benefit to using an outboard compressor.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thread Information