Reamping Issues

guitar4life3000

Hey!

So I'm Reamping with Studio one but having serious issues when it comes to the sound coming out of my reamp box and want to make sure I am not doing something wrong in Studio One.
Here is my setup:

Active pickup guitar -> Instrument Cable -> J48 Active Direct Box -> XLR Cable -> Input one of a Roland Octocapture.

I have a great dry signal recorded in studio one. From there it goes:

Output 8 (Balanced Loz speaker output) of Octocapture -> 1/4 / xlr -> Reamp x-amp box -> Instrument (tried a 1/4 balanced as well) cable into amp.

Basically the problem is in Studio One I have to turn the fader up to +10db to get a loud enough signal into my amp. If i put it at -17 to -20db like everybody suggests my gain on my amp wont even be activated it seems like it's an extremely weak signal. I have to record it at a certain volume to keep it from clipping but is there a way that the output signal needs to be turned up or something? I am so lost.

Thanks for the help.

The X-amp has a level control on it. Make sure that is all the way up.

If you are talking about peaking at -17 to -20, that is really, really low. Go ahead and record it so you are peaking around -6 or so.

We are recording as high as we can before peaking. We also have the level control up all the way in the camp. We literally have everything cranked in order to activate the gain on the amp. I feel like we're missing a step.

Is the 1/4" to XLR a TRS or TS on the 1/4" end?

It is a TRS. The most frustrating part is every video and every where I have looked at this, everybody makes it completely effortless. We have seen videos with our exact setup, Daw, Di, reamper and interface. Used the exact same settings and its not working the way it should.

Are you sure you are getting the proper level to the output of your interface?

Try just taking the line out directly to your amp. It should be way hot for the amp input.

If this works right then you may have a bad reamp box or cable or something fucked up in the connection.

Check the level settings in the output section of the Octocapture mixer.

I can't find mention of it in the Octo manual, but I would also check that the output you are using is set to +4dBu and not -10dBv.

The manual says +0dBu is the nominal output level.

The level difference between +4 dBu studio level and −10 dBV consumer level is Δ L = 11.78 dB (12 dB).

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm

edit--- Are you saying that you are tracking the DI channel to peak at -18dBFS and then dropping the fader to -17 > -20 dBFS to output to the reamp? Leave that channel fader at 0dBFS and set the output level from the output mixer in the Octocapture.

Last edited:
Basically the problem is in Studio One I have to turn the fader up to +10db to get a loud enough signal into my amp. If i put it at -17 to -20db like everybody suggests my gain on my amp wont even be activated it seems like it's an extremely weak signal.
This is confusing. If you put what at -17 to -20db? The fader? No one can suggest fader settings, if they were always supposed to be set a certain way, they wouldn't be necessary.

Is the power supply delivering the rated 15volts?

You have to assume a prestigious firm like Radial know what they are doing but 6watts of consumption for a re-amp box seems well OTT to me!

As I am forever saying! A digital multimeter will tell the tale of the power supply and then if that is ok it can be used to measure the AC audio in the system and a logical approach should isolate the issue PDQ.

Given their rep for a BSH build quality, I think it unlikely the box is faulty, my money is on a lead...BUT!
Measure them damn VOLTAGES!

Dave.

Plugging straight in and playing defeats your problems with reamping, so yes.

Know what you are saying Greg but peeps don't all have your chops! E.g. I have none at all so I would have to re-amp absent son guitarist.

Dave.

Know what you are saying Greg but peeps don't all have your chops! E.g. I have none at all so I would have to re-amp absent son guitarist.

Dave.

Dude I don't have any chops. Reamping has nothing to do with playing talent, unless you're piece-by-piece editing a guitar track together, which is lame as hell anyway and you would deserve all the headaches that go along with that.

My broader point is....why is this guy trying to reamp? Does he have to reamp? Is playing the guitar through the amp really not an option? Is he reamping because that's what guitar recording has devolved into these days? Or is he reamping for a valid reason? That's what my comment was getting it. If you have to reamp, fine, cool, do it right. If you don't actually have to reamp and can play through the amp, then fucking do it.

I have run i to this problem a couple times. It seems there are amps that simply don't like something about the signal coming from the x-amp. I have no idea why. However, the ones I've had problems with were relatively exotic, like Splawns and my old modified Laney (which hates any active circuitry on the input, including EMG pickups)

There was a run of the x-amps that had a weak output, I heard that if you contact radial, they will help.

Back