Reamping with Apogee duet.

jjhipv

Hello all,

i have tried doing a search for this and i couldn't find what i was looking for. I apologise in advance if it's in the archive, i must have missed it.

Anyway, how would i go about reamping with the duet. Is this possible?
I have a firepod also if it is possible with that.

Also, does anyone ever reamp vocals, and if so what are the benefits, or what specific reasons have people had for doing this?

Thanks,

josh

You would take the output of the duet, put it into the input of a Reamp box, take the output of a reamp box and put it into the input of an amp, then record the output from a speaker back into the duet.

Reamping is mostly done on guitar and bass tracks, with good reason.

if it's done on vocals or other tracks, it's mostly for cool , tube distortion effects.

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. I was unsure if i would need anything else to do it or whether it was possible just with the inputs and outputs of the interface. That's all cleared up though.

Thanks again,

josh

i've heard that one can use a passive di box instead of the reamp, it has the transformer, changes the impedance, just lacks a volume knob...
if i understand correctly

i've heard that one can use a passive di box instead of the reamp, it has the transformer, changes the impedance, just lacks a volume knob...
if i understand correctly
This doesn't work. It changes the impedance in the wrong direction and the level ends up out of whack.

A DI box takes a hi-impedance line level signal and changes it to a low impedance mic level signal.

A DI box in reverse would take a low-impedance mic level signal and change it to a high impedance line level signal. If you feed a high impedance line level signal into the output, you will end up with a higher impedance, higher level signal. This is not anything like the signal a guitar pickup puts out.

This doesn't work. It changes the impedance in the wrong direction and the level ends up out of whack.

A DI box takes a hi-impedance line level signal and changes it to a low impedance mic level signal.

A DI box in reverse would take a low-impedance mic level signal and change it to a high impedance line level signal. If you feed a high impedance line level signal into the output, you will end up with a higher impedance, higher level signal. This is not anything like the signal a guitar pickup puts out.

I believe this is incorrect, a di does not change to a line level. a guitar plugged into a di still needs a preamp. so a hi-z guitar (mic level)(unbalanced) changes to a low z mic level (balanced) signal. a passive transformer works in both directions, changing impedence from high on one side to low on the other, either way. this is not true with active, tube or other specific types. the only actual problem for reamping with a di is the level of the signal. read the "reamp" brand website about this. they say that it doesn't work because of the volume level. luckily my system has gain controls on the output. most do. varying the level of the input really changes the sound of the amp. start at 0 then work up. the duet even has an option to select this level specifically. then all you might need is a xlr adaptor. i have a background in electrical engineering, and have used this technique before owning a professional reamp box. my 25 $ groove tubes di sounds 98.4% as good as the basic reamp box. the jensen transformer reamp /di had a little more charecter. and a volume knob and the right plugs.

And yes you can do it all with the duet's plugs, according to apogee website; but i still believe that, theoretically, the impedence change is relevant to the tone, so a backwards di may sound better. some other engineers say that certain input circuit types compensate for the difference, others say the difference with this particular application is "nearly inaudible."
anyone selling reamp boxes will try to sell you one.

Last edited:
Back