Realistic Bass Guitar Vst suggestion

maroooned

Hello everyone, I have been trying to write some rock songs and I need to get a vst for the bass guitar. I tried a number of free vsts off online and they just dont sound realistic enough. Anyone has any suggestions? It would be nice if it was free as well

Thanks!

I don't think you're gonna get the attack and sound of strings from a keyboard and vst.

I have no suggestions, but for $150 you can probably pick up a used p-bass that would be 10 times more awesome than any vst.

I am completely with you on that one, its just l dont have access to a guitar right now. I wanted whatever could do a moderate job

Well, by all accounts, Trilian, the update of Trilogy comes with some good rep. As you can see, it's not cheap. I've not heard it or used it but I used to have it's forerunner, Trilogy, and I was more impressed with silence.
Maybe someone does know of some good bass VSTis but as a biased bass player, I've not heard a passable one yet.
Ironically, what got me into VSTis in the first place was a brilliant double bass that was on a free CD in Sound on sound or Computer music about 8 years back. Because I was ignorant of such things back then, I didn't take note of which software it was from, assuming they were all of that quality.
A move I was soon to regret. Ignorance is not always bliss.

Real instruments is the only way to go. If I can't play it or own it I find someone that can make something happen for me.

I've never found a great one, but I've gotten by with a few Freeware soundfonts on occasion. One thing that helps is to set up a compressor behind the VST with a long attack and fairly high ratio. That way you get that satisfying percussive "thunk" with every note that's useful in some rock styles.

Yeah, you'll get best results if you treat whatever bass vst you choose as the beginning of the chain, much as you would an actual guitar. It may need compression or amp sim or whatever. Probably try to hide as much of the upper mids and treble as possible. It will also probably be least offensive if you keep it relatively simple - just rooting around under the other instruments rather than taking solos or trying to be too fancy.

OTOH - Have you put any consideration on what other kinds of instruments you might put in place of the bass guitar? Maybe something that is easier to replicate via midi like an organ or electric piano.

If you can find a decent Soundfont player, I know of several sites where you can pick up good samples, like
HammerSound They have about 100 different bass samples. Jazzes, Yamahas, uprights, picked, plucked, slapped and fingered (no sexual jokes please).

Back