Re-recording same track with effects

mrfrisky330

Bonjour!

I am having a confusing time, my goal is to be able to record a clean track then play that track back through some effects and record as a new track.

Problem is I just get feedback!

In my ignorance I thought if I recorded a clean track, set its output from "output 1" to "output 2", created a new track looking at "input 1" and connected a cable from "output 2" to "input 1" and hit record it would work but it doesn't :(

Deeply confused...

I am using a Saffire Pro 14 through Logic Pro 9

How can I achieve this??

I don't understand why you want to record the same track with fx on? If you put the fx on that track it's there, you don't need to record it.

If you want a duplicate of the same track with separate fx, you can always use a Send to a new track (Bus) and put the fx on the Bus.

If it's a CPU issue and you want to free some power, you can freeze the track with the fx on. Logic Pro X: Freeze tracks

:thumbs up:

I don't understand why you want to record the same track with fx on? If you put the fx on that track it's there, you don't need to record it.

If you want a duplicate of the same track with separate fx, you can always use a Send to a new track (Bus) and put the fx on the Bus.

If it's a CPU issue and you want to free some power, you can freeze the track with the fx on. Logic Pro X: Freeze tracks

I need to do it to see if it sounds ok with certain effects on it, if it doesn't I can use the clean track as the source for creating one or multiple new tracks with different effects.

Plus I am using outboard effects not software plugins (just to make things more complicated) so I need a solution that allows me to send the clean track to the outboard and record the output as a new track...

Ah right, you never mentioned Outboard Gear in your original post.

I don't use Logic to be able to give you any sort of guidance but I found a video that might help you. It seems pretty straight forward.

Just tried it using line out 3 and line in 3 similar to the video (out 5-6 in 5-6) just get screaming feedback again, if I try line out 3 line in 4 I get nothing!

You are obviously routing the input to the output somehow. Turn off the monitoring while you are doing this.

If I turn off monitoring how can I monitor it?

Also I don't understand if I use the I/O plugin and route the output to 3 and even if I also output the audio to Bus1 and create a new track with an input of Bus1 I don't get any audio either. But I would have thought using the plugin to output to output3 and have a new track with an input of input4 AND have the outboard effect take output3 as its input and output to input4 would have handle audio but it doesn't - just silence??

It sounds to me like you're routing the output of one track to Output 3 and the Input of the SAME track to input 3, thus getting the feedback, as opposed to routing the original track to output 3 and then a separate track to Input 3.

That's the way I see this happening anyway. Only way I know how to get feedback without a mic/transducer involved is to have something looping back into itself as such.

Are you recording to a new track, or just trying to record over the old one?

I'm recording a new one.

I can agree with the output3 to input3 argument buy why does output3 to input4 produce no sound on a new track with input4 as its source???

Are you sure you have signal coming out of the hardware output 3? When you say routing plugin, I'm not sure what you mean. It shouldn't be a plugin, it should be part if the daw. If you are using some sort of 3rd party internal routing plugin, that would be your problem.

Steps for trouble shooting.
1. Plug something into input 4 and try to record it. If successful...
2. Route a track to output 3 and check for signal at output 3. (plug headphones in a see if you hear anything). If successful...
3. Plug a cable from output 3 into input 4 and record. If successful...
4. plug output 3 to the input of the effects processor and the output of the effects processor into input 4.

If the first 3 steps were successful, the effect should record. If any of those steps don't work, you have found your problem.

Are you sure you have signal coming out of the hardware output 3? When you say routing plugin, I'm not sure what you mean. It shouldn't be a plugin, it should be part if the daw. If you are using some sort of 3rd party internal routing plugin, that would be your problem.

Steps for trouble shooting.
1. Plug something into input 4 and try to record it. If successful...
2. Route a track to output 3 and check for signal at output 3. (plug headphones in a see if you hear anything). If successful...
3. Plug a cable from output 3 into input 4 and record. If successful...
4. plug output 3 to the input of the effects processor and the output of the effects processor into input 4.

If the first 3 steps were successful, the effect should record. If any of those steps don't work, you have found your problem.

Step 1 worked
Step 2 nothing
Who designed this piece of crap?? My old Edirol UA25EX never gave me this BS :confused:

Step 1 worked
Step 2 nothing
Who designed this piece of crap?? My old Edirol UA25EX never gave me this BS :confused:

Sometimes you have to enable the inputs and outputs in the daw software and/or the hardware driver interface. that is probably where your problem is.
I dont use logic and I dont have that hardware, but with motu hardware, there is a control panel that allows you to enable the ins and outs. If you dont do that, they wont work in the daw.

All I/O is active as standard in Logic Pro, I have just emailed Focusrite as I suspect its their shoddy design as I have never experienced this before with other hardware using the same DAW.....

Will keep this thread updated with their support suggestions...

Have you gone into the focusrite control panel? It has to be something silly, like a check box that isn't ticked.

Have you gone into the focusrite control panel? It has to be something silly, like a check box that isn't ticked.

Worth a look.
Set up a new track with a mic/instrument and arm it so you can hear yourself.
Now mute it. Can you still hear yourself?

If so you've got some kind of direct monitoring going on.

Worth a look.
Set up a new track with a mic/instrument and arm it so you can hear yourself.
Now mute it. Can you still hear yourself?

If so you've got some kind of direct monitoring going on.

Yes discovered if I mute a track it still plays thanks Focusrite another feather in your cap for shoddy mixer software!
The only setting that got the mute to work was "surround 2.1" nothing else allows muting to work - what utter crap. And yes the feedback has disappeared to be replaced with our old favourite COMPLETE SILENCE.

Buying Focusrite hardware seemed ideal until the disjoined turd of the software mixer had to ruin everything...

Yes discovered if I mute a track it still plays thanks Focusrite another feather in your cap for shoddy mixer software!
The only setting that got the mute to work was "surround 2.1" nothing else allows muting to work - what utter crap. And yes the feedback has disappeared to be replaced with our old favourite COMPLETE SILENCE.

Buying Focusrite hardware seemed ideal until the disjoined turd of the software mixer had to ruin everything...
That means that you are using the hardware monitoring. That is preferable to software monitoring because it is zero latency.

Crack open the focusrite manual and learn how to use the hardware monitoring, or at least how to shut it off. All of your problems are setup issues, read the manual and understand how the thing is meant to work.

As Farview said this is hardware monitoring. It's a pretty standard feature.
I don't see a direct monitoring knob on the interface so it must be controlled by the software mixer.
My motu interface works exactly the same way.

Have you read the manual?? There is a section on the mixer and if you read that reset the mixer to factory settings and follow its claim that the mixer only handles OUTPUT you will notice you can only record with inputs 1 and 2 and not with 3 or 4 UNTIL you add "DAW3" to the mixer, hardly only handling output is it?

It was reading the manual that got me to this stage of confusion as according to that it should work out of the box. Have read it again and amusingly I notice it says that headphone output comes from outputs 3 and 4...AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

Tried a new experiment reset the mixer activated DAW3 and DAW4 then routed output 1 into the external effects and put its output into output 2 and it worked!

Needless to say I shall be saving money for a better piece of kit, what use is having 4 I/O if the mixer by default uses 2 for the headphones?? Noticed the others higher in the range use 7 & 9 or 5 & 6. Not sure if I would risk it again, having said that sadistic mixer aside its a nice piece box...

Hmmm...

Will keep you posted on any changes, and thank for your assistance :thumbs up:

Back