Random idea regarding tracking vocals WITHOUT headphone bleed

Not at all. He didn't like how I phrased it but I bet he understood exactly what I was trying to convey but chose to attempt to "tech shame" me anyway.

Naaaa...BSG isn't like that. It was a legit point/question.

Your perspective was also good....but I think the reality is that with vocals, you DO adjust the source level as you change distance from the mic (what Jay was getting at about vocal mic technique)...unlike setting a mic for most stationary sources with steady-level output.

Moving closer to the mic for soft passages and further away for loud is proper mic technique, on stage and in the studio. This is what untrained vocalists *don't"* do and it creates headaches for engineers who have to find one set gain level for the wide range of unpredictable volume fluctuations.

If you have a song where the soft and loud passages are reasonably separate, you can track the vocals in two different takes, with different gain input and distance from the mic accordingly. I have used this to great effect.

If however the vocals go from loud to soft within verses or mid sentence, the vocalist should be riding the mic distance plus you might consider a conservative compressor on the way in (think Regina Spektor).

Wow! Many great responses, as I expected. I should have been a bit clearer in my original post: the headphone bleed occurs when I take one can off my ear, which I do about 50% of the time I'm tracking, depending on the style of music & vocal.

I'm pretty surprised to see cafehonda's response; evidently he kicks ALL vocalists out of his studio, at least the ones who know what they're doing. Haha. (I jest, I jest.) My voice is EXTREMELY dynamic, so I go from a soft near-whisper to belting loud enough to destroy ribbon mics within the same take; hence the need for fairly drastic mic technique. If I *didn't* do this, THEN I'd be creating a nightmare for the engineer.

So to clarify: I was interested in the bone-conduction tech because it allows the ears to remain open, which would provide the vocalist the ability to hear him/herself in the room/booth while simultaneously hearing the mix. Like I said above, I record vocals with one ear off about 50% of the time; the other 50% of the time I want to hear the sound of the mic & pre (and compressor, if there's one in the chain; with me, I track 95% of my vox through a API 512A into a EL-8 Distressor) and how they're reacting to my voice.

The main reason I want to eliminate any/all headphone bleed is due to how my vocals are processed/mixed when I'm working on my own material; there tends to be 2-3 compressors on my vocal during mixing and that really makes any bleed jump out and grab the effects on the vocal, which isn't pretty (in most cases).

Really appreciate all the responses, especially the funny ones. It's like Dave Chappelle said: musicians & comedians hang out a lot, because timing is important in both music & comedy...and musicians think they're funny. Hahaha. ;)

Some headphone amps have a mute button for each channel (the behringer ha4700 does this). You can then just mute the side that you have off your ear. You can also set up the headphone mix so that it only feeds the one side.

Some headphone amps have a mute button for each channel (the behringer ha4700 does this). You can then just mute the side that you have off your ear. You can also set up the headphone mix so that it only feeds the one side.

This. Or use IEMs. If you pull one out the SPL is so low it will hardly be picked up by the mic. Or put a short delay, something like 30-50ms, on your voice in the monitor mix.

Or simply build a box that let's you select which cans are working. Simple circuit. Just a simple On-On-On switch wired to allow Left-Both-Right. Plug the headphones into the box, plug the box into the output...cost maybe $8 to build.

Or spend some time getting exactly the right mix in your headphones and you might not need to push one side back.

I don't understand the need to take one ear off. Can't you hear your own voice in the headphone mix? Why would you want to hear your voice unprocessed if it is going to be heard processed on the raw recorded track?

Maybe I'm missing something.

I don't understand the need to take one ear off. Can't you hear your own voice in the headphone mix? Why would you want to hear your voice unprocessed if it is going to be heard processed on the raw recorded track?

Maybe I'm missing something.

It's a differerent sound.
Some singers find the headphone voice unnatural/weird, and they have a harder time staying in pitch. With one ear open, they can hear their voice how they normally do...and still hear the cue mix in the other ear with the phones.

It's actually pretty common for singers to do that.

Apparently my headphones sound more natural than the OP's because I rather like my "headphone voice". I find it easy to stay on pitch with them on. But then, I don't do any processing on-the-way-in either. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Anyway, it still comes down to simple physics...you can't have an open speaker 4 inches from the mic and expect the mic not to pick it up. This should be a quick and easy solve, as many have already offered.

It has nothing to do with the headphone mix, it has everything to do with the singer. It takes some people a long time to be able to hear themselves in stage monitors, headphones is yet another hurdle. I'm convinced that some people's brains simply don't recognize their voice coming from these other places. That is why a singer keeps asking for more monitor when it is blowing the heads off of everyone else on stage.

Yup....

I had this female singer doing some tracks not too long ago...and she keeps asking me to turn up her headphone mix.
Now I set it up where I normally have it....but I turn them up....she says louder....I turn them up some more....she says she still can't hear herself, meanwhile I'm looking at where the volume knob is and thinking maybe the headphones went bad or something.
Then I walk over and put her headphones on and .....BAM!!!....it was freaking screaming loud, and she's telling me she can't hear herself.
She was a real loud singer, had that screamimng live stage type of delivery...so she was basiclaly drowning out the headphone mix with her own singing being too loud for her to hear the headphone mix. :D

She just wasn't able to seperate out her actual singing...from her vocal in the phones.

My theory about vocal monitoring is that people generally need to hear their voice in the monitors loud enough to overcome natural bone conduction. Also, since we spend so much time indoors we are conditioned to expect some reflection off nearby walls, floors and ceilings. A little slapback delay or short reverb can simulate that and make it easier for a vocalist to perceive their own voice.

Back