quick delete of SNR hits from out Kick track

Lincoln Simmons

hello. I have a stupid question. been using PT since 2001. at the moment I am running PT8 on a BLA Digi 003R.... I am having a brain fart... I want to use my bottom snare track to delete snare hits from my out kick track. I forget how to select the snare hit regions and use those regions to paste on top of the kick track and delete the snare hits from the click track. strip silence is not doing the job and I dont want to do every hit by hand. I seem to recall a simple trick, but I forget how. maybe it was not pro tools. normally I do not have this issue... any tips/tricks? thank you for your time

38 views, no help yet... am i imagining this trick? lol

hello. I have a stupid question. been using PT since 2001. at the moment I am running PT8 on a BLA Digi 003R.... I am having a brain fart... I want to use my bottom snare track to delete snare hits from my out kick track. I forget how to select the snare hit regions and use those regions to paste on top of the kick track and delete the snare hits from the click track. strip silence is not doing the job and I dont want to do every hit by hand. I seem to recall a simple trick, but I forget how. maybe it was not pro tools. normally I do not have this issue... any tips/tricks? thank you for your time
38 views, no help yet... am i imagining this trick? lol

It sounds like you're describing a function of BeatDetective in ProTools.
I've never used it, though, so that's about as much as I can tell you. :)

Are you talking about maybe using the "sound replacer" plug in PTs, or are you wanting your bottom snare track to act as a trigger to delete the snare hits in the main mix every time the lower track sends the signal out?

You could try copying the bottom snare track to another track, then reversing the polarity and nudging it to line up with the snare in the kick mic. That might cancel enough of the snare in the kick to help.

iwas once taught a trick where i could select just the "regions" of the individual snr hits after they are striped. i was able to select the whole snr track regions only and place that selection over the kik track, then full on delete the same regions from the kik track, thus deleting in whole the snr hits.... this is a death metal type band. I also have a mic on the beater. i used 14 tracks for this drum track. 3 on the snr 2 on the kik. i am doing it by hand with strip and then trimming each hit by hand... ugh... gate wont work SNR is to loud to separate from kik hits. maybe i just dreamed it... lol

iwas once taught a trick where i could select just the "regions" of the individual snr hits after they are striped. i was able to select the whole snr track regions only and place that selection over the kik track, then full on delete the same regions from the kik track, thus deleting in whole the snr hits.... this is a death metal type band. I also have a mic on the beater. i used 14 tracks for this drum track. 3 on the snr 2 on the kik. i am doing it by hand with strip and then trimming each hit by hand... ugh... gate wont work SNR is to loud to separate from kik hits. maybe i just dreamed it... lol

The subtraction technique only works with some kick and snare mic placements. This is due to phase correlation. Its better to gate with a sidechain eq dialed in before you go into the converter, but the plugin known as "Drum Leveler" by Sound Radix has a decent side-chain with adaptive gate technology that does the trick.

Here is something you could do. Select the bass-heavy of the two kick tracks and duplicate it. EQ all but the very low thump so the snare is out of the mix. Key the gate with that track, (sidechain) so that the gate only opens with the low low low part of the kick signal. Probably lose most if not all of them, depending on hold times and how tight you set the gate.

Back