Question for James Argo about flute effects

Tileeba

In your song "Beloved One"

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2631&alid=-1

(which was very nice, BTW!), at the very end, on the last note, the flutes play a tremolo or trill (I am not sure what the correct term is).

How do you make that sound using Sonar and Edirol HQ Orchestral with an external keyboard synthesizer. Is it done manually via keyboard or is there some effect you use?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi Tileeba... :)
Thanks for listening the song. Glad to know you like it :)

About the flute, it was one of my soundfont collection (came with Creative's CD)... :) If I'm not mistaken, it was INTRIGUE.SF2 or something... I tend to sequence the notes as:

5 6 5 6 5 6 5 6 5 6... (sol - la - sol - la - sol - la - sol - la...) very rapid. (1/32 notes) and playing with velocity curves :) I play the basic raw part, and do alot of editing on it. Have a look at the pic below...

After I converted the MIDI part into audio, I mix them with abit of reverb.

hope it helps
;)
Jaymz

Attachments

• flute_thrill.jpg
    flute_thrill.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 59
When I do what you described through my synth, it sounds good.

Yet when I try the same with the flute in Edirol Orchestral, it doesn't sound so good. It sounds "choppy". Any ideas?

sounds like latency....lower it! or print the track to an audio track it SHOULDn't still do that...

Is it the mixing latency you are talking about? I put it to fastest- 8.7 msec.

I think it might have something to do with attack. When I press the key, the flute starts with a "breathy" sound. Is there any way to change that in the settings of Edirol Orchestral?

Edirol Orchestral HQ...

Try Bank 4-Preset Solo Woodwinds, Patch Bass Flute /Msw. I found it's not that "choppy" :) All you need to do is adjust the length among notes compared to the tempo to make it realistic trill, the we make velocities adjustment... Some patch serves you different result. You must be patience with this part... :)

To avoid MIDI choppy thingee with DXi, in SONAR go Options --> Global --> MIDI tab, and set playback buffers (below) to some values higher than 1000 (I set mine to 1500). It's 500 by default (If I'm not mistaken).

Hopr it helps,

;)
Jaymz

I'm not sure about the name... I just called it trill... AFAIK, Tremolo is achieved by altering the volume of the wave in very rapid way, while vibrato is by altering the tune by cents in the same way... :)

Back