Question about using effects while recording

ccmcgc

When I record, I use effects through my headphones. This helps me feel the track more, which helps me with my delivery. I plan to remove the effects before sending the track for mixing/mastering. I've noticed that when I use effects, the volume really increases through the headphones, so I have to turn down the gain on my AI as it's too loud. The recording sounds fine with the effects - it sounds fine w/o the effects, but it's much quieter. It this an issue? Are the vocals recorded loud enough? If i send it to someone, can it be too quiet, or can that be fixed? How do I know if the raw recording is recorded at the right level? thanks!

normally, you control the amount of the effect/s so that the feed aproximates your desired track level (if you want).

You haven't given details of your gear but some interfaces have separate controls for headphone levels that don't affect the level being recorded. If you can't do this with yours, get a cheap headphone amp (Behringer have a basic one down around $30) and use that to control your headphone levels without adjusting the input/record level.

What DAW are you recording with?

Seems you are using inserted effects or sending to an FX channel with the direct signal mixed with the effects.

Explain in more detail what you are using and how you are routing the effects.

If you don't have any issues with hiss etc. I wouldn't worry too much about the recording level, as it doesn't matter much (in the digital world). If you record at about 75% you can't really go wrong. If you record on tape it's a bit different, as here you DO have a certain amount of hiss and tape noise, and recording (too) quit would leave enough room for these artifacts to be heard, without having the opportunity to erase them at a later point.

Back