Question about the tascam 24 and 32 track portastudios

JoaquínMinifal

So I've been using a little 8 track tascam for making decent sounding demos and now it's time for me to upgrade. Was going to get an audio interface + some daw software and start recording to my laptop for more professional sounding recordings, but i always thought those big 24 and 36 track tascam portastudios looked really cool, and I think I would prefer physically moving knobs and sliders instead of using a mousepad. My question is, are these things deficient in any way? Can they be made to sound professional without the need for further mastering on a computer?

Anything is possible but realistically, the answer is no. Back in the day it would take weeks to cut and splice tape together to get 3 or 4 bars done. That's why some albums took months and months to produce. What used to take weeks now takes minuets. There is just so much simulation you can do via the computer that trying to go from directly recording to producing and distribution is not done as far as I know.

It is nice to be able to record each track then apply any fx you want after you adjust the levels and play with the overall sound. If you have a fear of learning a new DAW, it is really not as hard as it seems. Most have instant videos you can watch from start to finish. Keep in mind that even if you do master your program, you will still need to have an "Ear" of mixing audio. That is why most mixing engineers will pass their audio off to a mastering engineer after they have done their job for the project.

NOmatter what you do, you have to have the final mix mastered. Whether you can accomplish what you need on the Tascam is up to you. Same for use - if you're recording a simple acoustic duo, then the Tascam can work fine, but what the computer offers is 'more and better': unlimited tracks, unlimited choice of FX - choices of reverbs, more than 3-band EQ. And the thing that really mattered to me when I switched from a stand-alone recorder: automation. Being able to minutely tweak every parameter and have that saved.... I can remember trying to use a track volume slider to cut a loud or bad note out of a track, and missing the timing each time ("start again"!)
If you really want to use knobs and sliders, there are control surfaces for DAWs starting at $99.

I suppose you are talking about something like the Tascam DP-32SD.

If so the people I know that use them, usually people that hate computers LOL, find they are pretty good. In fact I recently mixed a project that was tracked on a 32SD and the actual quality of the recording was fine, the main reason I was asked to mix was the lack of mixing knowledge by the client not the Tascam, I used the exported files and mixed it on my software. I think they are a little limited on mix down, and I think you would want to master outside the Tascam if it's a serious for sale recording, but for a home studio use they would be fine.

Alan

So I've been using a little 8 track tascam for making decent sounding demos and now it's time for me to upgrade. Was going to get an audio interface + some daw software and start recording to my laptop for more professional sounding recordings, but i always thought those big 24 and 36 track tascam portastudios looked really cool, and I think I would prefer physically moving knobs and sliders instead of using a mousepad. My question is, are these things deficient in any way? Can they be made to sound professional without the need for further mastering on a computer?

I have a DP-24 and used it for a long time. And I too thought I would miss the knobs and sliders etc etc. However.........the DP24 (or the 32 track) is limited. As previously stated.........limited tracks....limited effects.....limited visuals......and most of all......the mix-down and mastering functions are limited for sure. So........eventually you'll come to know all that yourself and you'll want to go to a DAW. If you go to a DAW now........you'll be better off in the long run and save some $$$.

Well, I don't need the big track counts, but I was never under the illusion that my disk recorders were anything other than recorders. You can't beat editing in the DAW.. I can avoid the eye strain and track quick and dirty for a portion of the overall ordeal.

The first Chicago (CTA) double album was a week - but they knew what they were doing : ) 25 or 6 to 4..orrr

I just bought a DP-24 because I love the hands-on in the box approach. I'm also brand new to DAW recording....I've recorded with professionals in studios using professional versions of ProTools, Ableton, etc a million times....I don't fuckin get that stuff. I'm just kinda computer retarded. However, I have gotten really good at working with stuff I recorded on my previous digital recorder, the (much smaller) Tascam DP-02, which I then exported (Track-by-track) songs into my laptop and would just mix them in Audacity. Is there a way I can use a program like Audacity to interface with my DP-24, or is there some other BETTER freeware than Audacity (or something relatively cheap and more user friendly than protools?) I bought an AVID Generation3 MBox with ProTools 8 LE, and I can't figure out how the fuck to work either of them. I'd much rather use my 24 to actually track stuff, and then dump it to mix it (or have someone professional do it, but that's not always in the budget) Does anyone have any suggestions??

If anyone is reading this and happens to live in the Los Angeles / Orange County / San Diego, CA area and has a DP-24 (or 32, since they're essentially the same) AND would be able to show me how to either make this Mbox / Protools8 LE shit all work together, or show me a better interface and software program to use and could help me actually like learn the stuff at my place with my drummer (we're a couple of relatively intelligent, non- wasteoid metal dudes, wouldn't be a painful experience as long as you're not a fuckin' weirdo haha) to show us how to best use the DP-24 first and foremost, but then help us interface with either the Mbox (or a new interface if needed) and any software that we could work in for further mixing / plug in FX, etc. We would be more than willing to compensate you financially for your time. We have a budget from our label around $7,500 and want to record at home. We need someone to teach us how to do it with what we've got (give or take a few new pieces of hardware or software) OR just an engineer familiar with this shit that'd be down to work on it with us at our place in San Clemente. Experimental / avantgarde metal stuff. Real weird. Extremely established band. Would be good for your resume and your wallet. Hit me up at (all one word) ascension - monuments - media - at - gmail - dot - com. We are looking to try to get this figured out and started ASAP.

Thanks!

Is there a way I can use a program like Audacity to interface with my DP-24, or is there some other BETTER freeware than Audacity (or something relatively cheap and more user friendly than protools?)Thanks!

Audacity will not work for this. It can not read the ASIO file. Reaper is a good DAW and is not to hard to learn. You WILL need to take the time to learn a professional DAW if you want to get the full benefits from your new interface. p.s. You may want to start your own thread for your questions.

Back