Question about recording vocals

I want to record my band, but it'll be my first attempt recording vocals. I have two options. The first is to use an old vocal microphone (UDM 326 http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21JHpZxLRHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg) that has a jack output which has had to be repaired several times in the past. The second option is using one of my drum mics (red5 audio http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51owr8Jut-L._SL500_AA300_.) with some kind of improvised pop shield in front. My questions is this. Which would have better results, and what material should I use to improv a pop shield?

How are you recording the rest of the band? Neither of those mic choices is going to give you clean vocals.

I'm recording the guitars and bass using my Tascam's built-in DI box and the effects tat come with REAPER. I've recorded the drum tracks with the drum mics I mentioned in the first post.

What do you mean by "clean vocals"?

Get rid of that mic with the cord attached.

You might get passable results with one of the drum mics. Try each type.

Really, you need a better option for vocals.

Third option - buy a "proper" microphone... if the drum mic doesn't yield good results..

Seriously... how much money have you and your band spent on gear to date? Get them all to chip in for a decent mic.

Just a couple of suggestions...
The V67G mic is a good one for a lot of vocals. I've seen em range from $80 to $120. It's a condenser so it'll need phantom power so keep that in mind.
Another thought (for a dynamic) is the SM58.

As to a pop filter, super cheap and easy is to bend a wire coat hanger into a circle and slide one leg of a pair of panty hose over it. Trim it to fit and you're done.

Not the purdiest but does the trick.

:drunk:

I don't think the 58 is bad on vocals but there are others that hate it. And though I say it myself, this home made pop shield does indeed do the trick. And it ain't pretty but it was cheap and easy !

If you only have those two options then listen to each one and test them til you find the one that sounds the best to you guys on the voice being recorded. Use what you have it won't hold you back from recording a great song!

I bought a pop shield and used it on my small diaphragm condenser (an overhead mic that came with my drum mics) and it sounds pretty good! I think I'll probably use it regularly for recording vocals.

for vocals I would use any LDC (large diaphragm condenser), even the cheapest Behringer C-1 (£30/$40) is better than those crappy old dynamics u mentioned! and these 'beginner' mics generally come with shock mount/ pop filter etc.

for vocals I would use any LDC (large diaphragm condenser), even the cheapest Behringer C-1 (£30/$40) is better than those crappy old dynamics u mentioned! and these 'beginner' mics generally come with shock mount/ pop filter etc.
I don't really want to spend money on a LDC for two reasons: one is that I'm not a singer and won't really use it myself. Also, I will be going to uni at the end of the next school year, so again I won't be using it much.

Then a dynamic would be great and can be used for tons of stuff still like percussion, drums, horns, guitar amps, bass amps and even vocals still. Dynamics are a great part of any mic locker and shouldn't be slept on. :)

Back