Punchy Drums

Jerry W

At this point, I am using an Akai MPC2000XL and/or STYLUS for my drum tracks. I would like to make the drum sound punchier, aside from using different samples, compression or EQ, what options are there and, if I am to use compression and/or EQ, what shall I do for a punchier sound.

By the way, I realize that this is a very subjective question since punchier is only applicable when you know what punchy is in the first place. Nevertheless, I am curious to hear how others might approach this particular subject.

Well , I don't think this is what you'll want to hear but... a couple of days ago I tried remixing all the songs I'd recorded with the stereo drum tracks summed to mono. And, do you know, the drums did sound a lot punchier at a much lower level. Bear in mind though that this was two tracks straight up the middle; so that might have been a contributing factor. Unfortunately I don't have the wherewithal to play any of my 4 track tapes (which all have mono drums by default) as I sold my 414 to buy mics... er, I mean drugs. Yeah, that's right, drugs.

Watchoolookinat :mad:

;)

Back