Profire 610 Question

ddo225

I want a signal to go from my interface to a guitar amp. So right now, I have a keyboard going into the interface, with effects through ableton, and I want it to play to the amp. I've tried using the line outputs in the back, but for some reason, the sound is lacking in quality, than if I used the headphone outputs. Is there something I have to configure on the profire software?

Thanks

Your guitar amp needs a hi z guitar input not a lower impedance balanced line level that the profire provides.
You need to get a reamp box like the ones made by Radial Engineering to be able to do what you are trying to do successfully

like THIS ONE

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! So what are the line outputs for if you can't plug directly into an amp? I would just like to use a midi keyboard through the interface into ableton, then out the interface to loop it with a looper pedal.

You'd use the line outputs to send individual channels or stems from your daw to analog gear.

Maybe effects units that have line input, cd or tape recorders, summing mixers, that kind of thing.

BP is right, you need a reamp box which is the opposite (i believe) of a DI box.

So what are the line outputs for if you can't plug directly into an amp

For output to any device expecting a +4dBu line level balanced signal, such as; studio monitors or monitor amp, mixing desk, tape machine, studio effects like EQ, compressors and other signal processors.

Unfortunately not to send to most guitar amps and pedals as these are usually looking for a far higher impedance and lower voltage signal

Last edited:
BP is right, you need a reamp box which is the opposite (i believe) of a DI box.

Yeah, a reamp box is pretty much just a line level to hi z transformer. The couple times I reamped, I just used an inline XLR to hi z 1/4" adapter with the appropriate adapters to the TRS outs of my interface. Worked quite well for $160 less than the Radial X-Amp.

Yeah, a reamp box is pretty much just a line level to hi z transformer. The couple times I reamped, I just used an inline XLR to hi z 1/4" adapter with the appropriate adapters to the TRS outs of my interface. Worked quite well for $160 less than the Radial X-Amp.

Good call, my hard rocking amigo!

.. you need a reamp box which is the opposite (i believe) of a DI box.

Yeah if you have a DI you can use that in a pinch in reverse (so the instrument in becomes the out to amp and the 1/4"/XLR out becomes the input), but being careful about the levels you send through it. if you're at line level or (heaven forbid) close to digital zero you'd probably need to knock about 30-50db of gain off the signal to get it the levels it is expecting plus of course the level your amp is expecting. sending it full level could give your amp a nasty wake up call (as well as most of your neighborhood)
A reamp box is just easier since it is designed to accept a line level (plus some headroom) output and then correct the voltages internally, and they can be had pretty cheaply I've seen the radial RMPs go for under $80

Yeah if you have a DI you can use that in a pinch in reverse (so the instrument in becomes the out to amp and the 1/4"/XLR out becomes the input), but being careful about the levels you send through it. if you're at line level or (heaven forbid) close to digital zero you'd probably need to knock about 30-50db of gain off the signal to get it the levels it is expecting.

I tried that too. It worked well with one amp and a grungy tone. Tried it with another amp and high gain, and it sounded like ass. Different amps react differently it seems.

The little adapter thing I pit together, gave very close to the same tone as direct line from guitar.

I tried that too. It worked well with one amp and a grungy tone. Tried it with another amp and high gain, and it sounded like ass. Different amps react differently it seems.

The little adapter thing I pit together, gave very close to the same tone as direct line from guitar.
Keyboards are not supposed to be run through guitar amps. Guitar amps are built for midrange and will limit the frequency response of keys making them sound honky or like ass as you say. You could try running the keys into the effects return on the guitar amp assuming it has one.

Keyboards are not supposed to be run through guitar amps. Guitar amps are built for midrange and will limit the frequency response of keys making them sound honky or like ass as you say. You could try running the keys into the effects return on the guitar amp assuming it has one.

Keyboards thru guitar amps? What? Who?

Thanks for all the help! I guess I will reconfigure out my set up to play guitar and trigger drums/synth through ableton.

Back