processing drums

jerberson12

mucis procedure
ok here goes.....

Click on the link and once page is open listen to the "TEST song.
You can hear the first part of the song, a drum part of mine. Then the half would be professionaly mastered Avril's Song. My question is, how do i process my drum on part one of the clip, that would end up like the drum part on Avril's song? I mean the sound not the beat. Do i compress it, EQ? well? or Do i really need to use a professional drum sample?

www.nowhereradio.com/jerberson/singles

Not to dodge the question, but what is the purpose of adding the drums? Who recorded the actual song?

I see it like this...Avril L(can't spell her last name off the top of my head) is the original recording artist. Jeberson is trying to replicate the piece, and wants to learn how he would process those drums he made to sound like the ones in the actual song, which is the second half of the recording he supplied.

I subscribed to the thread, cause I'm interested in hearing what people say about that.

-Kirstin

kgirl72 said:
I see it like this...Avril L(can't spell her last name off the top of my head) is the original recording artist. Jeberson is trying to replicate the piece, and wants to learn how he would process those drums he made to sound like the ones in the actual song, which is the second half of the recording he supplied.

I subscribed to the thread, cause I'm interested in hearing what people say about that.

-Kirstin

If jerberson12 is just trying to get the same drum sound, here are the issues:

1) To get that sound you would need to know exactly what drum set was used and the signal path of each drum, etc. You would also have to play with the same velocity to get the same tones.

2) Your drum sounds will vary with the mix. If you get the sound you want dry, it will change once you start to add other instrumnets to your mix.

3) There are many ways to skin a cat. You will go stir crazy if you think you can get the exact sound of another recording. My advice is to get the best dry sound you can, record the music, then experiment with the different tools at your disposal (EQ, Comp., etc.) to get the best sounds of those recorded drums that fit best with the music around it.

It is not wrong to use other recordings to get ideas. No one can tell you how to get the sounds you want without hearing the mix and turning the knobs of the equipment used for the mix. Bottom line, there are too many varibles to give you one answer; therefore, each answer given would only be a guess.

ive already experimented my drum part using effects (eq, compress, reverb) and stil cant get it. One thing is that the professional drum sounds like heavy and you can feel the beat on it. my drums sounds like light even though i gain up the kick's and the snare's. it sounds like a tin can. Maybe they really use an actual electronic drums. The only professional drum samples i know is the "Drumkit from hell". I really want to learn drum sound engineering.

:(

Let's take a step back. What kind of equipment are you using? (Mic's, preamps, mixer, and outboard gear)

Fishmed said:
Let's take a step back. What kind of equipment are you using? (Mic's, preamps, mixer, and outboard gear)

Ok then

basically computer lol
cakewalk home studio 2004
M-audio delta 44 and Audiophile 2496 soundcard
Yamaha Cs1x Keyboard Synth
Yamaha Rgx121 electric guitar
BOSS GT-3 Multi-Effect Processor
Roland GR-1 Guitar Synth
Shure SM58
Roland MMP-2 Mic PreAmp
CD's Of Mellenium Drum Sample, Superloops Drum sample, Extreme Drum sAmple and probably gonna buy the "DRumKit From Hell"
I use bass part on my roland GR-1 using Roland MIDI adapter on my guitar
And my old monitor speaker(its not even a monitor, its a speaker from a home component speaker)

I have no effect rack but only use directx effects processor on my cakewalk.
I have no external mixer but only use system mixer

I think my gears are a little bit professional but stil i cant get the sound i exactly want to.....or even master like what ive heard on the radios.......

jerberson12 said:
Ok then

basically computer lol
cakewalk home studio 2004
M-audio delta 44 and Audiophile 2496 soundcard
Yamaha Cs1x Keyboard Synth
Yamaha Rgx121 electric guitar
BOSS GT-3 Multi-Effect Processor
Roland GR-1 Guitar Synth
Shure SM58
Roland MMP-2 Mic PreAmp
CD's Of Mellenium Drum Sample, Superloops Drum sample, Extreme Drum sAmple and probably gonna buy the "DRumKit From Hell"
I use bass part on my roland GR-1 using Roland MIDI adapter on my guitar
And my old monitor speaker(its not even a monitor, its a speaker from a home component speaker)

I have no effect rack but only use directx effects processor on my cakewalk.
I have no external mixer but only use system mixer

I think my gears are a little bit professional but stil i cant get the sound i exactly want to.....or even master like what ive heard on the radios.......

Seeing your set-up, I would just find the best sampled drum sounds that fit your music and go from there.

Back