Problems Recording Audio into MacBook Pro with Art Tube MP Preamp

SonitusNemo

Hi, I'm a complete beginner when it comes to recording, but I've written a few songs on my guitar and wanted to get them into my Macbook Pro.

So, after probably not enough research(!) I bought a Rode M3 condenser mic and an Art Tube MP Preamp. I've connected the M3 to the preamp via an XLR cable, and used a 1/4" jack to connect the preamp to my Macbook Pro. (I used an adapter to change the 1/4" connector to a 1/8" mini-jack)

Now I've turned the microphone on, and it's supplied through the preamp by 48V phantom power. The set-up instructions for the Art Tube MP say that I should gradually increase the input level until the LED turns Red, (something to do with 'clipping') but as I increase the input gain I get nothing. Even more frustrating is when I open Garageband, and attempt to choose an input, it doesn't give the preamp as an option. All I have are 'system input' and 'built-in input'

I've probably gone and done something embarassingly dumb but I'd be really grateful if someone could help me get this working.

Many thanks!

Hi, I'm a complete beginner when it comes to recording, but I've written a few songs on my guitar and wanted to get them into my Macbook Pro.

So, after probably not enough research(!) I bought a Rode M3 condenser mic and an Art Tube MP Preamp. I've connected the M3 to the preamp via an XLR cable, and used a 1/4" jack to connect the preamp to my Macbook Pro. (I used an adapter to change the 1/4" connector to a 1/8" mini-jack)

Now I've turned the microphone on, and it's supplied through the preamp by 48V phantom power. The set-up instructions for the Art Tube MP say that I should gradually increase the input level until the LED turns Red, (something to do with 'clipping') but as I increase the input gain I get nothing. Even more frustrating is when I open Garageband, and attempt to choose an input, it doesn't give the preamp as an option. All I have are 'system input' and 'built-in input'

I've probably gone and done something embarassingly dumb but I'd be really grateful if someone could help me get this working.

Many thanks!
If you want this to work correctly, you'll need a dedicated audio interface with at least one line level input (usually 1/4" TRS jack). A line level input will not have a preamp in it, requiring you to use an external pre, such as your ART Tube MP. Most audio interfaces will have at least one XLR input (with preamp) and at least one line level input (hopefully). No, not a Hi Z input on the front as that is for things like an electric guitar going di. Those Hi Z inputs have preamps in them which you don't want if you're using your Tube MP.

However, if you're a beginner, I'd suggest keeping it simple for starters, buy an affordable interface and learn how to use that. You probably don't have the ear yet to tell the difference (or know the benefits) of using a tube pre verses a standard stock pre. It will only cause you greater grief learning how to work the thing and make your recordings sound not as good as they can be if you'd just keep it simple and start learning the art of recording a good take. Sometimes, low end tube gear causes more problems than good, especially if you aren't experienced with it.

Check this out: Let me google that for you

Good luck!

Although i do totally agree with RecordingMaster that, in the long term, an audio interface is a much better approach as they tend to offer a better sound (in terms of preamps and converters) and usually better functionality, with the setup you've got, unless i'm missing something, you should be able to record. You are using the "built in input" and, depending on what generation/version of MBP you've got you've either got only one 1/8inch connector on the side which doubles as a headphone output and line input or a separate headphone out and line in socket. If you've only got the one socket on the side, open System Prefrences ----> Sound ---> and change "use audio port for:" from sound output to sound input. Then, in garageband, on the channel strip select "built in input" and adjust the ART MP as the manual suggests

Back