Problem with screeching AD/DA, only on half the channels, confused.....

Frozenlead

Howdy yall.

I have a unique problem that I've been pulling my hair out over all week. Apologies if this is the wrong forum, didn't see a "help" forum.

I'm running Cubase 5 with a TASCAM FW-1884 and a ART Tube OPTO 8 as extended inputs. I track at 24-Bit / 48K. From the Tascam I'm going Wordclock out into the OPTO8 and ADAT IN from the OTPO 8. 16 tracks of recording and never had any problems.

Cubase recently crashed (for the first time) and I had to reset the Control Panel. Since then the last 4 channels on the OPTO 8 have begun screeching uncontrollably in the box. It is a steady/harsh grinding digital noise that immediately clips Cubase's internal trims. The weird thing is that all 8 inputs on the OPTO 8 are still working before the converters, and the first 4 channels are still converting and working properly - no changes in sound. It is just the last 4 channels on the OPTO and it definitely appears to be AFTER the preamps (which are functioning properly).

I've been thinking it's an internal setting with Cubase since it's only been happening since the crash but i cannot for the life of me figure out what has changed. Every setting now seems to be the same as it was before but still the last 4 channels are screeching death.

Still running at 48K too - so it's not an accidental switch to 96K eliminating half the inputs as I had first guessed.

I'm at a loss.

To anyone who can help - thanks a million.

- Phil

There isn't actually a "master/slave" setting on the unit, but I have tried switching the "sync" from wordclock to ADAT and with my current setup that simply turns the Ad/Da's off and there's nothing. The Tascam is set to master in the program and on the board if that helps.....

Have you reinstalled Cubase? From your description, sound like a corrupt file. You might try uninstalling and then reinstalling the Tascam Drivers. Also try using it in another software (Reaper, it is small, free can be setup pretty quick). This would be to test your theory. As a matter of fact, I would do this in the order of less intrusive, remove and reinstall interface driver (check results), install Reaper, check results.

If it happens in Reaper (or DAW fo your choice), you can eliminate Cubase. But it really does point to corrupt drivers since you mentioned a crash, then the problem.

Thanks for your assistance.

I took your advice and installed reaper (which appears pretty powerful as my friends have said).

unfortunately the same issue is occurring in reaper. no change.

This eliminates cubase. Could it be a bad wordclock/ADAT cable or something? Though that does contradict the idea that it has something to do with the crash....which as u said seems sound.

disconnect word clock cable.
hold down clock button on the tascam
while holding down clock key, press F8(adat) release f8, press wrt(48)
then set tube opto at 48K
then your clock is comming from ADAT. On the settings menu in the computer , the clock source shold be set at ADAT. the sapling rate should be greyed out. if not, set it to 48K (if you can change it)
never use coax word clock unless you have to. Clock on the fiber optic connection on adat will be less prone to jitter.

drtechno, i googled wordclock vs. aDAT and everything I'm reading says wordclock is superior for "jitters" and reliability. It's also the first option ART recommended.....

What is the truth???

I'd like to kno now that I have to buy another unit... :[

and also - since switching to ADAT sync as you had suggested, all audio on my pc seems to have dropouts and such - even VLC player.....

drtechno, i googled wordclock vs. aDAT and everything I'm reading says wordclock is superior for "jitters" and reliability. It's also the first option ART recommended.....

What is the truth???

I'd like to kno now that I have to buy another unit... :[

ADAT sync over fiber is superior to coax word clock because it electrically isolates. The old ADAT Sync using a nine pin connection is inferior to both (old equipment has this) and that is where all the confusion comes from.

coax word clock is used when you have a lot of devices you got to sync. the sync boxes have isolation circuits on the coax to prevent ground loops plus distribute the clock properly. I can't verify that the tascam unit has this. I sold mine long time ago.

the only thing it should be affecting all of the channels.
just four input channels seem like a ADC chip went bad inside the art.
reguardless, the art unit is bad. you can check the unit by itself by loopind the in/out with a fiber cable set it to 48K and hook up a power speaker on the analog out's and test each ADC/ DAC of the unit. (mic-mic1 out1-speaker, them move both the mic and speaker to the next channel)

wordclock should be generated by a dedicated wordclock generator instead of the firewire interface.

the only non generator clock that works reliably would be one derived from a bus card (pci-pcie) based system. but this does not apply to you.

you can check the unit by itself by loopind the in/out with a fiber cable set it to 48K and hook up a power speaker on the analog out's and test each ADC/ DAC of the unit. (mic-mic1 out1-speaker, them move both the mic and speaker to the next channel)

Correct you are, those 4 channels test badly when isolated in the manner you mentioned. drats. Thnks for that, that was a concise test.

Also - the dropouts I mentioned stop when I completely unhook and power down the ART unit. Seems like the ART unit is the problem in regards to everything...

DAMN. This sucks. What would you guys recommend as a replacement unit for the OPTO 8?? Not looking to buy another one if it's prone to this...and my warrantee is up.

I use an old vintage-vibe mixer for pre-amp-age before my Tascam FW-1884 so I don't really want to change that unit out (plus it's a decent enough interface). I just need another reliable 8 channels - of ADAT it seems....

- Phil

do you need mic channels or line channels? the art unit is the best in its class, the next step up is an
Audient ASP008 for all 8 mic channels or the UA 4-710d is four mic/ four line.

a sidestep would be a Behringer ADA8200.

but the art is a nice unit. you should find out how much repair or a new digital card would cost (since they are seperate from the pre and line stages inside)

do you need mic channels or line channels? the art unit is the best in its class, the next step up is an
Audient ASP008 for all 8 mic channels or the UA 4-710d is four mic/ four line.

a sidestep would be a Behringer ADA8200.

but the art is a nice unit. you should find out how much repair or a new digital card would cost (since they are separate from the pre and line stages inside)

Mic channels for sure. I emailed ART about fixing the unit, but Im not sure what they're going to say. I could ask Vintage King who has a place nearby but they'll probably want a chunk of change. If it's close I may as well just buy a new on right?

That Audient looks like a nice unit. Considering that.... Any idea where they're made?

Back