Problem with Audacity

woldsweather

I am using either a Rode NT1A or an audio technical cardoid lapel mic but have the same problem with both. I also use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 . I have used this gear many times but have also had this problem many times. THis time all the stock answers I find by googling are not solving the problem which is I get:

Error while opening sound device. Please check the recording device setting and the project sample rate.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Well - the problem is nothing to do with the mics, the computer cannot load the driver for the 2i2. First step is to make sure you have the correct driver for the computer you are using. Download the latest stable driver. The clue is in the sample rate mention - it could be something very simple - your software. What are you using? You could have set accidentally a sample rate that isn't supported. You have the usual 44.1/48/96KHz sample rates, with sometimes variable bit rates, and/or mono/stereo. If you have created something unusual, the software tries to talk to the 2i2 using something weird - maybe 32Khz, Mono in 32 bit floating mode - and the Scarlett just says no. In whatever software you are using, set a standard sample rate, and make sure it's stored in the preferences file, then plug in the USB and see what happens. You say you have had the problem many times? How did you cure it each time?

Questions - what software, what OS, and what settings are you trying to use?

Well - the problem is nothing to do with the mics, the computer cannot load the driver for the 2i2. First step is to make sure you have the correct driver for the computer you are using. Download the latest stable driver. The clue is in the sample rate mention - it could be something very simple - your software. What are you using? You could have set accidentally a sample rate that isn't supported. You have the usual 44.1/48/96KHz sample rates, with sometimes variable bit rates, and/or mono/stereo. If you have created something unusual, the software tries to talk to the 2i2 using something weird - maybe 32Khz, Mono in 32 bit floating mode - and the Scarlett just says no. In whatever software you are using, set a standard sample rate, and make sure it's stored in the preferences file, then plug in the USB and see what happens. You say you have had the problem many times? How did you cure it each time?

Questions - what software, what OS, and what settings are you trying to use?

Audacity. Windows 10 and 48000 the onlysampling rate I have ever used. I cant see any settings that are different from what have worked in the past.

Do you have the Focusrite control application installed and have the 2i2 interface set to the same sample rate as the project in Audacity? (It's called Saffire Mix Control for my Saffire Pro 26, probably Scarlett Mix Control for yours.)

Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 4.41.37 PM.png

Last edited:
Do you have the Focusrite control application installed and have the 2i2 interface set to the same sample rate as the project in Audacity? (It's called Saffire Mix Control for my Saffire Pro 26, probably Scarlett Mix Control for yours.)

View attachment 103245

Keith does that control panel work with Audacity? Audacity doesn't support ASIO..... just wondering if the control panel needs/uses ASIO to function or is it independent of ASIO?

I have one suggestion: don't use Audacity. The 2i2 came with some software, a lite version of Ableton, I believe. Use that and see if you still have problems. Yes, there is a learning curve, but once you're over it, you'll enjoy the benefits.

Keith does that control panel work with Audacity? Audacity doesn't support ASIO..... just wondering if the control panel needs/uses ASIO to function or is it independent of ASIO?
Honestly, no idea. I just know that on the Mac, I have to use the app to set the F'rite to the Logic Pro project sample rate. "Assumed" it would be the same elsewhere!

I have one suggestion: don't use Audacity. The 2i2 came with some software, a lite version of Ableton, I believe. Use that and see if you still have problems. Yes, there is a learning curve, but once you're over it, you'll enjoy the benefits.
I don't know if any of them "come with" anything anymore. F'rite will require you to register the product to get the full software download IME.

I don't know if any of them "come with" anything anymore. F'rite will require you to register the product to get the full software download IME.

Quite possible. I have the 1st generation 2i2, it came with a CD full of the typical bloatware, but also a lite version of Ableton.

Yes, Audacity is very handy but not a "proper" DAW. Try this:Download Samplitude Pro X for free and produce your own music and if you like it there is a totally free version called "Samplitude Silver" limited to 8 tracks. Or give Reaper a go.

Have you done the obvious? Knocked out Windows Sounds? Those bleeping bloops? See, the great thing about ASIO is it keeps Msoft pretty much out of the loop.

Dave.

Yes, Audacity is very handy but not a "proper" DAW. Try this:Download Samplitude Pro X for free and produce your own music and if you like it there is a totally free version called "Samplitude Silver" limited to 8 tracks. Or give Reaper a go.
Have you done the obvious? Knocked out Windows Sounds? Those bleeping bloops? See, the great thing about ASIO is it keeps Msoft pretty much out of the loop.

Dave.
ASIO is a no-go with Audacity...... ASIO Audio Interface - Audacity Wiki
Either the OP is stuck with Windows sound stuff or as suggested or go with a different DAW.

Some possibilities.......
Error when recording computer playback [SOLVED] - Audacity Forum
error while opening sound device? - Audacity Forum
Audacity error while opening sound device when recording

ASIO is a no-go with Audacity...... ASIO Audio Interface - Audacity Wiki
Either the OP is stuck with Windows sound stuff or as suggested or go with a different DAW.

Some possibilities.......
Error when recording computer playback [SOLVED] - Audacity Forum
error while opening sound device? - Audacity Forum
Audacity error while opening sound device when recording
Or, maybe use the driver Focusrite supplies?

Recording with your Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen in Audacity (Windows) – Focusrite Audio Engineering

I did read it and it doesn't have anything about setting the sample rate using their Mix Control software, so maybe you're stuck with 44.1kHz (default)?

Or, maybe use the driver Focusrite supplies?

Recording with your Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen in Audacity (Windows) – Focusrite Audio Engineering

I did read it and it doesn't have anything about setting the sample rate using their Mix Control software, so maybe you're stuck with 44.1kHz (default)?

Yeah, I was at that page previously and the link it gives for the driver gets you to an 'ASIO' driver, but Audacity still uses MME within Windows. Perhaps the 'driver', while not able to use ASIO in Audacity, sets some of how the 2i2 functions for Windows.
My Tascam US-144 is similar. It shows the Tascam being used, but uses MME since ASIO can't be selected. There is a 'default' recording rate in Audacity, but that can be changed.

Attachments

• windows mme.jpg
    windows mme.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 9
  • rate.jpg
    rate.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 8

Dave.[/QUOTE]

Can you explain 'knocked out windows sounds' ?

I have downloaded and installed the focusrite driver for 1 gen 2i2 from their website though if its supposed to appear in the drop down list under devices>Interface>host it doesn't only WASAPI MME and windows direct sound

I have downloaded and installed the focusrite driver for 1 gen 2i2 from their website though if its supposed to appear in the drop down list under devices>Interface>host it doesn't only WASAPI MME and windows direct sound

MME is the one you want. Your Focusrite should show up under Line In and Speakers like the images I put in post 13 for my Tascam interface and as well in the Focusrite link that was provided in previous posts >>> Recording with your Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen in Audacity (Windows) – Focusrite Audio Engineering

You do not want to 'knock out windows sounds' unless you're using another DAW that can use a ASIO drivers. Audacity needs to use the windows audio system.

MME is the one you want. Your Focusrite should show up under Line In and Speakers like the images I put in post 13 for my Tascam interface and as well in the Focusrite link that was provided in previous posts >>> Recording with your Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen in Audacity (Windows) – Focusrite Audio Engineering

You do not want to 'knock out windows sounds' unless you're using another DAW that can use a ASIO drivers. Audacity needs to use the windows audio system.

Mark, "knock Windows SOUNDS" not the sound system. I mean the infernal bleeps and bongs you get. Go into Sound Setup and simply set for "No Sounds" . It has been said in the past that leaving these operational is not only a B nuisance but can change your sample rate momentarily!

Dave.

Mark, "knock Windows SOUNDS" not the sound system. I mean the infernal bleeps and bongs you get. Go into Sound Setup and simply set for "No Sounds" . It has been said in the past that leaving these operational is not only a B nuisance but can change your sample rate momentarily!

Dave.

Ah.... gotcha!!! There is a proliferation of threads about disabling a onboard soundcards that I thought that's what you had meant.

Ah.... gotcha!!! There is a proliferation of threads about disabling a onboard soundcards that I thought that's what you had meant.

Oh! I am sure I have used my KA6 with MME drivers and Audacity and I have had the OBSoundcard killed on my main desktop forever.

Will have a play later tom' IF I can see! Got to go to the hosp eye dept in the morning.

I also have an 8i6, maybe that can shed some light?

Dave.

The one 'minor' thing that could also give the same result is simply moving the USB to another interface on your PC.
Although USB is mainly plug and play, if you move a cable to another interface (from where a component driver was installed) you may have issues where it won't find the applicable component when you move the cable etc.

Back