Presonus Tubepre trouble

nthsieh928

Hey guys, so I have a presonus tubepre going into an alesis io2 and am running logic pro 9.1.7. The mic i am using is a shure sm57 and am trying to figure out how to get my preamp working with my interface. The problem is that I'm not picking up any signal in logic and can't get any sound when I plug my preamp in. At the moment im plugging the mic into the tubepre using a working mic line and then using a direct line going from the tubepre into the line input of the io2. Any thoughts on how to get any sound?

Thanks

I think Mixsit has the right place to start. The best troubleshooting technique for any recording problem is the process of elimination. Remove the pre-amp first by going directly into your audio interface with your mic, if that works, then you know for sure that the problem is not the interface. Try replacing all the cables you are using between connections. I have found that most home recording hobbyists use cheap cables that stop working properly the first time they get stepped on.

If those don't work, then you may have a problem with the Pre-Amp itself. While it can sometimes be difficult to get your pre-amp configured properly, it shouldn't be difficult to at least get it to deliver a signal to your interface.

I just recieved my Presonus TubePre today in the mail. After doing a LOT of research on preamps in the $100 range (that's my budget right now) I kept seeing rave reviews of it. So I was anxious to try it out. I have an Acoustic brand amp I jusy got and was so dissapointed that my soundhole pickup was so quiet it made the amp almost useless. And I know it has some volume, the guitar I tried it with at the store sounded great, and loud! But it had built in pickups and preamp.
So anyway I researched and researched for the best preamp for that price. Kept coming up with the Presonus. So I plug it in and the volume increase was great.....but the hum and hissing, not even tolerable. Especially for recording. I turn the gain down and it's better, but then the reason for getting it was to boost the gain. I don't even touch the "tube" settings. Not interested in that. So now i'm thinking I got a dud? Why does everyone give it rave reviews? I think it sucks, just a fancy toy, sounds like turd. It's plugged into a grounded outlet. But when I touch the endpin jack the hum goes away. The hissing remains. Sounds perfect when I take the Presonus out of the picture. Very dissapointed with this. If this is just how it is, I'm returning it immediately. I don't want to screw around with junk if this is common. I don't know what I can do to fix the problem. Some say a new tube, but who wants to pour more money into something they don't like right off the bat? Not me!
Any ideas/advice?
Thanks!!

I've got the studio channel from Presonus and it has no such problems. I'm thinking you got a bad preamp. Usually they're pretty on par when it comes to quality control. Their stuff really does sound great, I'd send that defective thing back though and get one that works. They can do you better than that

Presonus Tube Pre, Comp16, EQ3B & HP4

That ^ give the pre amp a good reccy for noise so I think you must have a duffer. I would have expected better QC from Presonus?

Note however when plugging pre amps into AIs, especially "budget" AIs, you have to be very aware of gain staging. When it comes to achieving low noise mic amplification there is no such thing as a free lunch!

Dave.

I would have expected better QC from Presonus?

So would I.

And as a result, I'm not convinced that the OP has conclusively determined that the Presonus is at fault.

I'm thinking more that there is a signal path problem. However, when he swaps over, I guess we will find out.

I am thinking operator error in set up or use here. It also sounds like there is a level / impedance / wiring problem in this setup, so what we need if more information and less going on about how bad you think the gear is. I mean why did your original setup between the amp and sound hole have a problem? this would more then likely be a impedance miss match?

I have a Presonus tube pre (2 channel one) that i use for extra inputs and if it quiet ad sounds fine.

Alan.

Back