Preamp to XLR or Line-in any damages?

jackjameson_

Hey guys..

Can i wire the preamp to the input XLR from my interface? instead to my line-in? without phantom power from my interface ofc... Will this route damage my mic.. interface or preamp?

Ive the Presonus VSL44.. presonus studio channel and the rode NTK.. Would een focusrite isa one.. make a difference instead of the studiochannel from presonus? i shall i save the money for a universal preamp?

It won't hurt anything, but you might run into problems trying to get the recording level low enough. The mic input on your interface has a preamp built in, so even on the lowest setting, it is adding gain.

Why do you want to plug your outboard preamp into your interface preamp instead of the line input?

thank you for ur comment.

Its sounding different.. and it picks up less pc noise. I need to change something about my self build pc cuz its so noisy.. maybe the fan. Ive a Behringer mk3 studio denoiser.. an oldy.. made in germany but dont know how it workz.. cant find any manual..

Computer noise, assuming you are talking about the noise in the room getting into the mic, is a product of mic placement, not an issue with preamp configuration.

If the computer is loud in the room with the mic, the mic will pick it up. Isolate the computer or isolate the mic. You don't need a better preamp or to hook your stuff up differently.

Presonus, like Focusrite, have a very good rep for their pre amps.
It is very unlikely that for "normal" recording purposes the use of another pre amp would help in any way and if you were after "effects" the so called "warmth" I understand that the Isa One is not really the best choice? More your super clean pre amp?

As Jay has intimated. You cannot cure noise problems by bolting bits on. All you need is mic>AI>computer and if the latter is noisy, fix it or shift it. You can have a very bloody long cable on a proper mic you know!

Dave.

Put the computer behind a baffle of some sort. Then, invest $20 in a wireless keyboard and mouse, so you can be on the otherside of the room and still hit record and stop.

Isolation, physical distance and mic placement are what will fix the problem with a noisey computer getting onto the recordings.

Ive a room next to my 'recording place'.. can i just buy a very long usb cable that goes from my presonus vsl44 to my pc? or will i lose something like gaining latency?

I don't know about that, but you can certainly buy a longer mic cable and a headphone extension cable. Those will not give you a loss of quality or a latency problem.

Long USB cable won't affect your latency in the least. All the rest of it could be controlled from your smartphone or tablet via VNC. That will have some latency - the computer will lag behind your commands some, and the view will be a little behind what you're hearing - but it's more than good enough for arming and disarming tracks, hitting play or record, etc.

oh okay.. but i need to put my pc out of the room.. i will try the usb.. 2.0 i thought..

The theoretical limit for USB is 5mtrs but some things will work past this. Keyboards, mic, printers. Interfaces are different however. My NI KA6 will work with two different 5mtr cables with one computer but with only one of the cables with another. With ANY 3mtr cable it works fine with ANY computer I have ever tried EVEN a Vista laptop!

You can buy active USB extenders but I have never heard of anyone using one with an interface. Actually I might see what 'Zon wants for one and give it a do!

Dave.

Well....USB cable length standard kinda tops off at about 16 feet...after that you need an active repeater setup to go longer.

You can try and see if you have any com issues.

Presonus, like Focusrite, have a very good rep for their pre amps.
It is very unlikely that for "normal" recording purposes the use of another pre amp would help in any way and if you were after "effects" the so called "warmth" I understand that the Isa One is not really the best choice? More your super clean pre amp?

As Jay has intimated. You cannot cure noise problems by bolting bits on. All you need is mic>AI>computer and if the latter is noisy, fix it or shift it. You can have a very bloody long cable on a proper mic you know!

Dave.

What preamp would u advice for warmth?

I've found that actual warmth tends to come from expensive preamps. Just about anything above $700/channel will get you in the game.

$150 preamp with a tube in it doesn't really do it.

finally a true anwser! :) thank you. i will try to save up for the Universal 710 or 610 and maybe new monitors.. Genelec 8010 bi amp.

Ive the presonus studiochannel preamp thats was like 300 euros.

finally a true anwser! :) thank you. i will try to save up for the Universal 710 or 610 and maybe new monitors.. Genelec 8010 bi amp.

Ive the presonus studiochannel preamp thats was like 300 euros.

Cheeky sod!
I don't think any of the information you had here was UN True!

Dave.

Back