Which preamp and cables do I need?

martin_7937

Hello

I am getting a Behringer B-2 PRO condenser mic after seeing Behringer B-1 in action here:

youtube.com/watch?v=BAC-qyEDauY

Which preamp should I buy to achieve that kind of quality? Is Behringer MIC200 gonna be good enough?
And what cables do I need to connect it to my MacBook Pro?

Thanks

Why are you looking at a stereo mic?

Unless i'm reading this wrong, and that may happen, the beri B-2 pro isn't stereo, just dual diaphragms (well, that's what the beri website says)

Making the assumption that you don't have anything to connect to your computer at the moment (i.e an audio interface) it may be worth looking at an audio interface with built in preamps rather than buying a separate preamp and audio interface. The preamp stage simply turns up the signal coming from the mic, the interface converts this into a signal that a computer can read.

if you've not already, have a read of the sticky about choosing and audio interface, and have a look through the forums in general for suggestions as it's covered a number of times.

as mike said, what are you planning to record?

Well, a few things.

First off, there's no guarantee that the mic you see in that video was actually used for the studio recording--indeed, I'd say it's highly unlikely. He's just using it as a prop for the purposes of the video and there's every chance they used a really good professional mic for the actual recording. It's also worth noticing that there's a ton of processing and mixing going on there--no mic is going to sound like that mix without a lot of skill in the mix process.

Second (for mjbphotos) I don't think it's a stereo mic--just a dual diaphragm mic with switchable patterns. Still, the question is valid: do you really need omni and figure-of-8 patterns for what you want to do? It might be worth putting your cash into a better single pattern cardioid mic.

Finally, what do you need in terms of interface and cables? Well, it's an entry level mic so, frankly there's not a lot of point of buying a super expensive interface to go with it. I'd probably be looking at something like M Audio or Focusrite. Which model? It depends on your future plans. Will you ever need to record a second mic for stereo or need line/instrument inputs?

Cables? Just an XLR of the right length and a USB to input your chosen interface into your computer (and the USB will almost certainly come with the interface). Don't be conned into spending money on an Audiophile cable but get something with decent connectors (Neutrik or Switchcraft for example) and that handles nicely when you coil it. The cable won't affect your quality one little bit--but the quality will pay off in longevity.

Okay,

I will be using the microphone mainly for recording vocals

So what I need is a Audio Interface with built in preamp? Can you guys suggest some, preferably cheaper ones?

It may also be worth noting that my Macbook only has a single line in/headphone jack so is it better to connect the mic to the USB port and use the line in/headphone jack for headphones OR connect the mic to the line in port and buy some kind of USB headphones? cause I heard that its better to connect the mic to the line in rather than the USB?

and also I asked the ones who made the video what mic did they use to record and it is indeed a Behringer B-1

Thanks

Last edited:
Like Bobbsy said, I hope you realize the video is just lip synced to a relatively professional recording. I encourage you to record, but start by reading the sticky's at the home page. There is a boat load more to this then just a mic and a nice voice.

Superman can fly, but I can't just put on a cape and jump off my balcony because I saw it done in a video.

Back