Portable multi-track recorder to use for quick capture of ideas

boppinJack

Hi. I'm looking for a good portable multi-track recorder that I can use on the fly to quickly capture ideas on my guitar (which includes doing overdubs) instead of having to sit down at my computer, go through the process of plugging into my interface, launch my recording application, etc. I would like a device w/ a user-friendly interface, decent build quality, very good record quality and enough flexibility to allow me to lay down a rhythm track and a few overdubs, all in perfect sync. Then, at a later time, I'd like to be able to easily transfer this multi-track recording to my computer and work w/ it in my recording app. I don't need a lot of bells and whistles as I'm not planning to do a full scale production on the portable device but I would like to get clean tracks that I can process later in my DAW.

I've used a Zoom H4n which seemed to work well enough for my purpose but I've read some good things about the Boss BR BR-80 which seems to be a more dedicated multi-track device but a little trickier to navigate within. Any thoughts from anyone on either of these recorders, or any other recommendations?

I can't say anything about the Zoom or the Boss but I've got a older version of this Tascam that I bought about 2 years ago for that exact reason and it's worked great. It was really easy to figure out, too.

Thanks for your reply. I hadn't been considering Tascam as I was advised that there were issues w/ build quality, but I take it you're not having any problems. I'll check out that model again (looks similar to the Zoom).

I have a Zoom H4n that records everything I do (jams, gigs, practices) and has been doing so for 6 years. I'd recommend the H6 however for what you're doing. Or the R16 or R24 (I have 2 R24's that I use to record the band live with multitracks). Those work great too but H6 is probably best for you (at least from the Zoom line). Good luck and have fun.

Bill L

Thanks for your recommendations. I had looked into the Zoom H6 (and H5) and think I remember reading that the overdub function was a bit compromised on these newer models although the sonics are reported to be better. I'll have to research them again. There are plenty of demos on youtube. The R16, etc. is pushing the budget a bit and probably a larger recorder than I need (will primarily be layering tracks as a solo musician).

I picked up 1 R24 for $200 on Craigslist (slightly used) and one almost brand new for $225. And there's always the R8 which is almost the same but with less inputs. Craigslist or ebay is the way to go unless you have a good used gear store (or pawnshop, for that matter) nearby.

Bill L

Honestly I think the R8 is better than the R16 due to the fact that you can do 24bit recordings on the 8 and not the 16.

It also sounds like what OP wants. :)

I currently use the Reaper program as a DAW. I run it on my very fast laptop and have very few issues. I have bought or otherwise attain many of the very good VST plugins that are available for free or a very good price, and I am very happy. I have used the Tascam 2488 in the past, and found the 24 bit to be great for recording, however the faders are very, very short (like 60 mm I think) and that presents a problem for mixing and mastering. I have also used the Fostex 16 and 24 track. I have found that if you use the 24 bit software or stand alone units, your recording will sound exactly (for the most part) how you send it, which means you need to send a warm signal. I use Berhinger's MIC Pro 2 channel and warm up every signal that I send to the machine. I hope this helps. If I may provide you with any assistance, please don't hesitate to write to me.

Last edited:
I use the Reaper and just a little Yamaha mixer with a USB. I have an M-Audio 25 something or other that works like a dream from Heaven to program my drum (samples are free and plentiful) and my cello, piano, strings, and whatever else. I use a Dean Markley pickup, which I run through my Berhinger tube processor, and an open face condenser mike that gets the same tube treatment. Reaper is very, very inexpensive, and I put the whole thing together for less than $350. Just the Reaper (which you can download and use for free) a mic, any ASIO, USB connective device such as any small mixer now-a-days (mine was less than $50 for a ten channel Yamaha) will cost so little and the hardware you need for any other project. I suggest warming up EVERYTHING you record on digital medium.

I have a Tascam DP-008 that works great for just that. Sure is nicer to lay down basic tracks on the sofa than at the computer. Also great for quickly putting down song ideas with the built in condenser mics, as it sits on the coffee table. I then export the tracks and mix and finish them in the computer.

I've used both the Tascam DP-02 and the Zoom R-16. Both of those units would work for what you want to do. I think you might benefit more from the features of the Zoom unit (8 tracks input, battery operation, SD card storage, built in stereo mics, etc...). Both units allow USB connection, but the Zoom machine can function as a DAW interface and control surface (Tascam only shares files). Personally I like the workflow of the Tascam unit better (at least inside the box), but then I cut my teeth on Tascam analog gear, which probably is not your situation.

I have been using a Tascam DP-004 for at least a few years now and have had no problems with it, can run on batts or power supply. Simple 4 track that gets the job done, built in mics, small, saves to SD card and has USB port. The only thing I do not like is that the screen is not backlit.

Depending on your make of phone, I bet there is a 2 or 4 track recording app to download for free or for very little $. There's a few free ones for Android. That and a pair of headphones/earbuds and you're good to go for rough demo's/ideas.

I've used one on my phone a few times when I've been away on holiday and just wanted to remember some things. Does the job and cheaper than buying a gadget.

:thumbs up:

Why wouldn't a little phrase sample be the ticket?

I have a Boss RC-3, a Boss RC-300, and an old Boomerang that I constantly use to develop ideas.

The RC-300 is super deluxe I guess...but it enables me to stack tracks an isolate ideas...which can be easily dumped to my DAW if the track happens to be worth transferring.

It doesn't get much easier than stepping on a pedal to capture and layer tracks.

Back