Portable HD or Computer-Based??

pablo

Hello!
I'm planning to start a new recording system under a low budget (I don't know yet how much I want to spend, but maybe I can spend like 3000 if I can get it by credit), and here's what I wanna do...
I wanna record just audio signals, I'm not really interested in MIDI, I don't like MIDI sound... Like a drum set (8 microphones), 2 vocals (2 mics), 2 giutars, a bass, and maybe 2 more inputs for a sax or a keybard or something... I want to be able to record it Live... Here's what I have in mind:
One portable recording studio that can record 8 tracks simultaneusly, one cheap mixer besides so I can mix de drum's mic into one channel for the recorder!!
I also want to be able to add effects after de recording, and change volumes for each things, pan, ect...
I'm also looking for someone selling thjis equipment...
Any help is welcome...

yo whut u could start wit a p.c. because u can get away wit alot of editing that u cant do with recording with those small screens. u could hook up a new built p.c. for bout 500 beans. a nice soundcard and a mad imagination.

i got a pc 500mghtz celeron and 192mb wit a 20gig for software and a 40gig7200 rpm for recording a six channel mixer for 99 buckz at guitar center from behringer and i use it to my full advantage. just email me for da info wu_crazed@hotmail.com or check out my page www.mp3.com/Killah_Trakz

pablo-- with due respect, Midi doesn't have sound. I think you meant you don't like synths?

In any case, I strongly suggest that you totally ignore what
Killah_Trakz, lol, has told you and get yourself a stand alone recorder-- the Korg D1600 is unbelievable for about $1500, including a cd-burner. I just got one. It kicks ass. You can also get a Roland VS or Yamaha (AW)

Im not saying that Killah has no point. Of course, nothing you buy will be all things to all people, but based on what you are saying you want to do -- i.e. live recording, mobility-- it's much easier to use one of these than a PC (I have both) and it sounds kick ass. You can transport it real easily. A PC is not really portable.

The Korg has a mixer, faders, and a shit load of stuff built in-- Mic pres, AD converters, effects-- some real nice reverbs and other effects. You can even plug your guitar right into it, with cabinet emulation. It has built in rhythem patterns/metronomes for building songs. It has midi. It records 24 bit (8 tracks simultaneous plus 8 virtual tracks per track) or 16 bit (16 tracks simultaneous + 8 virt per track). The converters are excellent sounding. The unit rocks. Thats why they are selling like hot cakes.

Spend money on mics. Get a good condenser mic for vocals. Get SM57s for micing guitars/amps. Some people use these kind of mics for vocals too, but I prefer condensers. The mic pres on a good DAW like the Korg sound real good. And if you want better ones, you can always add them later.

True, the PC based sytem will give you more editing power. But you can do VERY substantial editing on the Korg (or other DAWs). The screen may not be as pretty as a PCs, but it works fine. Trust me. The Korg has a touch screen-- and combined with all the buttons on it, you end up with tremendous flexibility. And you can quickly start flying around it pretty nicely. You can copy, delete and merge tracks. You can duplicate songs. You can add fades real easily. You can normalize audio. You can punch in-out recording. You can bounce record w/o degradation. You can expand and condense time of audio. You have 99 levels of UNDO. And I am just scratching the surface. How much more do you want?

These operations may not be quite as easy as you do it with a PC based system, and a big screen. But you can still edit like an animal. Someone like you, pablo, who is interested in live analog recording, and not being a mad computer scientist, I assume, will benifit more from the ease of use of the unit, its portability, and its many many features. You won't have to spend a lot of time troubleshooting a DAW very day like you undoubtedly will with a PC. You won't have to worry about latency issues with your mixer, or control surface. The problem with computer-based systems, especially PC based (as opposed to Mac) is you will have to buy all the components seperately, and then be a systems integrator. Then when something doesn't go right, and trust me, nothing goes right when you are building computer systems, it is time to troubleshoot. Take it from a professional programmer-- you are far better off avoiding all this shit if you can.

Spend your time recording music, not playing with installing sound cards, interrupt vectors and Bios settings.

I could go on and on like this forever. Bear in mind, I am not saying PC systems suck-- far from it. Just based on what you have said, it is clear that you will most surely benifit from a DAW. Get one-- I guarantee you that you will be glad you did for a very long tim.

Also, DAWs retain their value well-- so if you want to unload it on ebay in a year or two, you will recoup a good part of your investment. Truth be told a DAW *IS* a computer, anyhow. It is just a very specifically designed and configured PC, one that was specifically made to record music.

I just got mine, and I already used it to make a CD of a concert that a vocal group I am involved with did. The CD I made sounds just plain awesome. I have really outdone myself. I am blown away. And it was easy as sin to make.

Trust me-- avoid wasting tons of time f-in with a computer systems if you can avoid it.

ciao,
jk

I second the standalone. However, I'm partial to the Roland VS. I've owned a VS-880 since right around when they first came out. Roland was the first to do a kick ass job and now it seems like everyone is copying them. Be that as it may, I haven't tried the Korg, it may also be a good system.

Ok, sorry, I don´t know if i meant that MIDI is sound, I know what MIDI is, i´ve worked a bit doing some simple things with it, the problem for is that the sound is not "Real" and that is something anybody can hear in a song... Maybe for other type of music production, something like, techno, trance, rap, or something, but i´m not really into it, in the other hand if someone ever ask me to record some electronic style thing, I anyway will be able with just plain audio recording, these people should have their own synthetisers and FXs!!
Ok, I apreciate your advise, and yeah, I was hopping to spend some good money on mics, and I have some in mind, I was thinking of the Shure 55SH Series II, I don´t really have seen it working but it really looks great!! and HEY it´s a shure, that´s what brands are for, that makes me think that it´s a good mic... and, for miking drums Nady DMK7 7 Piece Drum Mic Pack it has 7 mics for just $200 bucks, and they seem pretty good!! you can see their espc. in musiciansfriend.com
I would also like to know how much it´s like a 8 channel simultaneos recording PC audio card, if anyone knows, i would really appreciate to know...
Thanks to all for the advise!!

"I would also like to know how much it´s like a 8 channel simultaneos recording PC audio card, if anyone knows, i would really appreciate to know... "

pablo: you must be very artistic, because it is hard for me to understand you ;) If you want to know how much a stand alone DAW is like an 8 channel card-- that depends on alot of things. Like all the specs of the card. And the specs of the DAW. Are you talking about sound quality? The number and types of ins/outs? Either a DAW or PC w/soundcard could be better than the other. Remember what I said, a DAW IS a computer. Its just packaged differently; it HAS a sound card inside it.

So, it all depends on specs. It depends on the specs of the PC you are plugging the card into-- like processor speed, motherboard, chipset, disk drive speed and size, amount of RAM, AND the manufacturers of all these parts. THEN you get into the compatibility issues. Then there's the software you are using on the PC. Many variables. Many things that can affect the usability and ultimate quality of the final product. Many things that can cause problems. DO YOU HAVE A HEADACHE YET? IF NOT, YOU WILL!

"I was thinking of the Shure 55SH Series II, I don´t really have seen it working but it really looks great!! and HEY it´s a shure, that´s what brands are for, that makes me think that it´s a good mic... "

Pablo, you're a nice guy, Im sure, and don't be thrown by my remarks, but this type of talk will drive some of the less tolerant folks around here crazy. Of course they already are crazy, but that's another issue entirely. Look, you don't want to make a decision based on what a mic looks like, nor do you want to make it based on the brand name. Most manufactures have a LINE of products, some might be shitty, some might be great. You need to try to understand the specs and then you can take a look at what the user community thinks of the item. I am not a mic expert. All I can say is I use a Neuman TLM103 condenser mic for vocals, and I love, love, love it. I also have 2 sm57s for micing amps and other things. I understand they are good for that.

Pablo, with great love I say this: based on what you have said so far, clearly you aren't the engineer type-- and don't get me wrong: that's not necessarily a bad thing. You are probably more interested in the music, and expressing yourself. I respect that. I am being serious now. Many of the REAL artists I know are just not interested in all this recording stuff. They just want to make music. I think you fit in this category. You are someone who obviously has balls. All the same, these kinds of statements are all the more reason I think you would be better off avoiding a PC solution in the short term, and going with a DAW. You can get used older ones on ebay. Roland VS1600 I hear is a good, used recording tool. Check it out. With your budget you could go higher too.

Pablo, I am a geek by trade. I don't particularly like fixing computer problems, but it is what I do for a living. And I know that problems like these can be intimidating to anyone-- me included. Usually I end up talking to myself by the end of the day. But this is especially discouraging for someone with limited experience.

If you are interested in the specs on my Korg, here they are, in plain English. See below for a more tech version of these specs:
------------------------------
• LCD touch screen
• full-digital processing (24 bit internal processing, 16/24 bit uncompressed recording and playback, 44.1 kHz sampling frequency). From recording to effect processing to mixing down
to CD-R/RW all processing is performed completely in the digital
domain.
• 16 track recorder, a 24-channel 8-bus mixer, and effects.
• When using 16 bit recording/playback: 8 tracks can
be recorded simultaneously, and 16 tracks can be
played back simultaneously.
• When using 24 bit recording/playback: 4 tracks can
be recorded simultaneously, and 8 tracks can be
played back simultaneously.
• User-installable internal hard disk. (you can change disk drives pretty easily) You can install either a separately sold Korg HDD-20G hard disk drive or any Korg-recommended 3.5
inch IDE hard disk drive. An internal hard disk
allows approximately 3.1 hours of recording for each
gigabyte (16 bit, 1 track). If the HDD-20G hard disk
drive (sold separately) is installed, approximately 62
hours of recording is possible.
• A maximum of 100 songs × 16 tracks × 8 virtual
tracks can be recorded, for a total maximum of
12,800 tracks of data.
• User-installable internal CD-R/RW drive. You can
install either a separately sold Korg CDRW-2 CD-R/
RW drive or any Korg-recommended 5 inch ATAPI
internal CD-R/RW drive. If a CD-R/RW drive is
installed, you will be able to create original CD’s and
back up song data, and record audio data from a CD
without connecting any other equipment to the
D1600.
• All analog inputs in the mixer section use high-per-formance
balanced preamps to take full advantage
of the audio quality of full-digital processing.
XLR inputs with +48V phantom power and a dedi-cated
guitar input are provided. A wide variety of
audio sources can be connected directly, from mic
level to +16 dBu (higher than professional level).
• All phone jack inputs use TRS balanced jacks to
support balanced input. Of course, unbalanced
input is also supported.
•The S/PDIF digital input provides a sampling rate
converter that automatically converts 48 kHz or 32
kHz sources to 44.1 kHz.
channel can be sent to the two master effects, and an
independent final effect can be applied to the mas-ter
output.
•For the insert effects, master effects, and final effects
you can choose from 98 different types of high qual-ity
effect, and use up to five effects simultaneously.
•The D1600 provides 128 insert effect presets, 32 mas-ter
effect presets, and 32 final effect presets created
by professional musicians and studio engineers, for
a total of 192 preset effect programs. Based on these
preset programs, you can edit your own settings and
save them in one of the 192 user effect locations. An
expression pedal (separately sold option) can be con-nected
to control an insert effect in realtime.
• The built-in tuner lets you tune a connected guitar or
check the tuning of a playback track.
• The fader, EQ, pan, and effect settings of the mixer
section can be saved in a scene, and 100 scenes can
be registered for each song. You can cause scenes to
change automatically as playback progresses, or
recall them as general-purpose settings when
needed.
• Operations such as recorded, copy, and delete are
performed as non-destructive editing. You can use
the Undo function to reverse any record or edit oper-ations
previously executed. Then use the Redo func-tion
to cancel the “undo.” Undo allows up to 99
prior recording or editing operations to be undone.
• Songs or phrases that you create by recording or
editing will be saved to disk automatically by the
Auto Save function when you switch songs, elimi-nating
the need to save the data manually.
• Each track provides eight virtual tracks.
For example, you might record different takes of a
solo part on different virtual tracks, and then choose
the best performance later. When using bounce
(ping-pong) recording, currently-unused virtual
tracks can be specified as the bounce destination,
allowing you to combine multiple tracks of data into
two tracks without erasing any of the 16 tracks. By
repeating this “16 to 2 track bounce” operation, you
can theoretically create a song of 16 x 8 tracks = 128
tracks without erasing any of the original track data.
• In addition to a conventional metronome sound, 215
rhythm patterns in a variety of musical styles are
built-in, allowing you to hear a more musically inter-esting
rhythmic guide as you record. You can select a
favorite rhythm and start recording right away,
without having to connect and set up a drum
machine. These rhythm patterns can also be
recorded on a track.
• Auto and manual punch-in/out recording make it
easy to re-record the desired portion of a perfor-mance.
• The Trigger Recording function allows recording to
start automatically in response to an audio input, so
that it’s easy to begin recording even when both
hands are occupied playing an instrument. You can
also use a foot switch to start or stop recording.
• The Scrub function lets you listen to the recorded
sound of a track just as if you were manually mov-ing
the reels of an open-reel tape recorder – a great
convenience when you need to find the exact begin-ning
of a phrase.
• The Locate Point Memory function (four points for
each song) and Mark Memory function (100 points
for each song) allow you to register locations within
a song, making it easy to mark and jump instantly to
transitional points within the song. Names can also
be assigned to marks.
• The Program Play function lets you play back multi-ple
songs in the order you specify. These songs can
then be recorded to MD or DAT to create your own
album.
• When recording and editing songs or phrases from a
record or CD, you can use tap input to input a
tempo that follows the song. Alternatively, you can
create tempo maps, or record MIDI clock messages
from an external device.
• The D1600 can synchronize with MIDI Clock, MTC,
or MMC-compatible sequencers or rhythm
machines.
• Standard connectors such as SCSI and S/P DIF (dig-ital
interface) are provided, allowing connection to
numerous external devices. The SCSI connector
allows external hard disks, CD-R/RW, or removable
disks to be used to record/play or backup data.
The S/P DIF connectors allow you to record digital
audio from an external digital device such as DAT or
MD, and to directly output the mixdown of a song
you created for recording on an external DAT or
MD. AUX OUT jacks allow external effect devices to be
connected.
• WAV files can be imported/exported, making it easy
for audio data to be exchanged with your computer.
• Mixer parameters can be controlled via MIDI. An
external MIDI sequencer can be used to implement
mixer automation.
---------------------------------------
here are the same specs, in more technospeak:
Analog/digital input and output specifications
INPUT= 1, 2, 3, 4
INPUT= 5, 6, 7, 8
GUITAR INPUT
MASTER OUTPUT L/R
MONITOR OUTPUT L/R

Operating temperature range:
+5 – +35 degrees C (do not allow con-densation)

Number of tracks:
128 tracks (including virtual tracks)
16 tracks simultaneous playback, 8 tracks simultaneous recording @ 16 bits
8 tracks simultaneous playback, 4 tracks simultaneous recording @ 24 bits

Recording format:
24 bit/16 bit uncompressed, 44.1 kHz

Recording time:
16 bit recording: maximum 62 hours
24 bit recording: maximum 31 hours
* When internal 20 Gbyte hard disk is used

Maximum storage capacity:
internal + external 1,000 Gbytes × 7 drives

Number of songs:
100 songs per drive

Locate points:
four points per song

Mark points:
100 points per song (marks can be named)

Metronome patterns: 96

Rhythms: 215

MMC functions: Transmitted and received

Synchronization: MTC transmission/reception, MIDI Clock transmission

Tempo map (200 points per song)

Sync track (1 track per song)

Tempo rec

CD-R/RW functional-ity:
Create audio CD, backup/restore,
import WAV file (ISO 9660)

SCSI functionality: Recording/playback/copy song
(playable), create audio CD, backup/
restore, import (FAT 16, ISO 9660)/
export (FAT 16) WAV file

Track editing: Copy, insert, erase, delete, swap,
reverse, time expansion/compres-sion,
fade, normalize, optimize (tracks
can be copied between songs)

Song editing: Copy, move, delete, rename, protect

Counter/locate format: Min/Sec/mSec, Meas/Beat/Tick,
Min/Sec/Frame (30NDF only)

MIDI functionality: Mixer control, effect control, MMC
transmission/reception, MTC trans-mission/
reception, MIDI Clock trans-mission
Structure: 24 channel input, 8 BUS, 1 AUX, 1

MASTER
Signal processing: 32 bit 44.1 kHz
Equalizer: HIGH (f:10 kHz G:±15 dB)
MID (f:0.1 –20 kHz G:±15 dB)
LOW (f:100 Hz G:±15 dB)
Scene memory: 100 scenes per song
Structure: insert × 8 (maximum)
master × 2 (maximum)
final × 1
All usable simultaneously
Signal processing: 44 bit 44.1 kHz

Programs:
insert (128 preset, 128 user)
master (32 preset, 32 user)
final (32 preset, 32 user)

Algorithms: 98

Effects: 106

Display: 240 × 64 pixel

LCD with backlight and touch panel

Power consumption:
31 W (with HDD-20G installed)
38 W (with HDD-20G, CDRW-2
installed)

Dimensions:
510mm (W) ×363 mm (D) ×138 mm
(H) (Including protrusions)
Weight: 6.0 kg (main unit only)
7.8 kg (with HDD-20G, CDRW-2
installed)

Frequency response:
10 Hz –20 kHz ±1dB @+4 dBu, 10 k load

S/N:
96 dB (typical) @IHF-A

Dynamic range:
96 dB (typical) @IHF-A
THD+N: 0.02 % (typical) 20 Hz –20 kHz @+16
dBu, 10 k load

A/D conversion: 24 bit, 64 times oversampling

D/A conversion: 24 bit, 128 times oversampling

Sampling frequency: 44.1 kHz

Connectors:
XLR-3-31 type (+48V phantom power,
SW), 1/4" TRS phone jack (balanced)

Input impedance:
4 k/XLR-3-31, 10 k/TRS phone jack

Nominal level:
–60 dBu @TRIM=max.
+4 dBu @TRIM=min.

Maximum level:
–48 dBu @TRIM=max.
+16 dBu @TRIM=min.

Source impedance:
600 Ω

Connectors:
1/4" TRS phone jack (balanced)

Input impedance:
10 k

Nominal level:
–60 dBu @TRIM=max.
+4 dBu @TRIM=min.

Maximum level:
–48 dBu @TRIM=max.
+16 dBu @TRIM=min.

Source impedance:
600 Ω

Connector:
1/4" phone jack (unbalanced)

Input impedance:
1 M

Nominal level:
–60 dBu @TRIM=max.
+4 dBu @TRIM=min.

Maximum level:
–48 dBu @TRIM=max.
+16 dBu @TRIM=min.

Source impedance:
600 Ω

Connector:

Output impedance:
150 Ω

Nominal level:
–10 dBu

Maximum level:
+2 dBu

Load impedance:
10 k or more

Connector:

Output impedance:
150 Ω or more

Nominal level:
–10 dBu

Maximum level:
+2 dBu

Load impedance:
10 k or more

Accessories
AUX OUTPUT
PHONES OUTPUT
S/P DIF INPUT/OUTPUT
SCSI
MIDI IN/OUT
FOOT SW
EXPRESSION PEDAL

Connector: 1/4" phone jack (unbalanced)
Output impedance: 150 Ω
Nominal level: –10 dBu
Maximum level: +2 dBu
Load impedance: 10 k or more
Connector: 1/4" stereo phone jack
Output impedance: 100 Ω
Maximum level: 50 mW @32 Ω
Connector: optical
Format: 24 bit S/P DIF (IEC60958, EIAJ CP–
1201)

Connector: HD SCSI-2 (D-sub half-pitch 50 pin)

Format: SCSI-2 compatible

Connectors: DIN 5 pin × 2

Connector: 1/4" phone jack (use separately sold
PS-1)

Connector: 1/4" stereo phone jack
(use separately sold XVP-10 or EXP-2)

Power cable

Owner’s Manual

Demo song backup CD

PS-1 pedal switch

XVP-10 EXP/VOL pedal

EXP-2 foot controller

CDRW-2 CD-R/RW drive
(internal type)

HDD-20G 20GB hard disk drive
(internal type)
--------------------------------------------------------------

Lots of Luck,
Jerry

Hey Jerry!
Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it!!
And yeah, you´re right! it does seems like a lot of numbers to me...
And yeah, it´s really good to hear some advise from someone who pays more attention to the numers than me!! :o) That´s the good thing about forums, you get many ponits of view!!
Ok, I don´t know what to say, maybe you´re right, I´m more like and artistic guy than a technic one... I´ve been invloved into a couple of live recordings (Mixed Live), and I pretty used some REALLY cheap mics, I used one for vocals that costed me like 25 bucks, and take note, IT WAS WIRELESS!!! lol, and I was pretty satisfited with this work, you know... I just didn´t like about somethings with the mixing, but there´s nothing I can do with that becouse it´s all already mixed to stereo!! it´s not multitrack, I mean all I got is an mp3 of it... becouse it was originally recorded to a normal audio tape, but the bass guy in the band lost it, lol, lucky me I made a backup to mp3... so, I think you may be getting my point... I would like to play some other time again with my band, and record other local bands, and not have this same problems, I want to have it on multitrack, and not analoçg media that comes with hiss, I want it digital... so... this is for now... I´m gonna be freshman in audio production this fall, I didn´t want to get an engineering becouse I don´t really like numbers, but I´ll work with them a bit if it´s necessary... and I´ve got 4 years for learning all that protools thing and get it to practice, for now, I think I´m gonna get me one of those standalone recorders... That Korg looks like nice to me... :o)
But I looked for it on musiciansfriend.com that is my favorite dealer, and it was $1600 and without CD Recorder, where can I get it cheaper, with CD burner??

Thanks a lot again man!

pablo:

You definitely want a portable unit if you are going to go around the neighborhood recording bands.

You can save some cash right now on Ebay. A very reputable seller is selling a barely used unit that you can buy right now for $1475. Go to http://www.ebay.com and search for "korg d1600". There are 2 days left on that auction. You can get an other burner Korg's for less than $100, but it will probably not support the faster burning rate (only 2x, not 4x). Check out the Korg website for compatible burners. Also do a search on this site for Korg D1600 and folks will tell you about cheaper burners with this unit.

Unfortunately you probably won't do much better than these prices right now. The Korgs are pretty popular and all the dealers sell at the same f-in price. If you want to go cheaper then get a different unit-- Roland VS series, used on Ebay is probably the best bet. But I thought you had a 3000 budget? You could try Sweetwater or ZZounds-- at least you can save on tax that way.

lotsa luck,
jk

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY.

PC recording is all about flexibility. There is no way you could edit like I have been doing for a week on a D1600 screen. In addition, you cant install and keep connected 2 hard drives in a D1600.

Buy a Digi-001. Why?

Better A/D conversion

Editing capabilities lightyears ahead of ANY standalone.

8 Tracks 24BIT out of the box.

799.00 complete

Ability to take your project and mix professionally

You are learning to operat something that is compatibale with pro studios

400.00 more and you have 16 tracks live 24bit with alesis converter.

Lots of high quality plug ins available (lots of things Korg doesn't do)

There is no comparison, especially for 16000.00

I almost bought on....thank god I got the Digi@!@!

oops...almost forgot

24bit 24 channel playback. You can't beat this setup even for 2000.00.

Insight into editing.......

I took and cut and pasted SEAMLESSLY a 6-track drum session to where my drummer is a human metrome. The quality of the editing with the combined capabilities of fades (a deep topic in itself) is extremely powerful. You are able to zoom into sample level work in intervals of time inperceptable to the human ear.

How dare you contradict me, RSMITH123???!!

By the way, since I am a hippocrite in constant search of the next best mousetrap I can pour my $ into, I have returned the Korg to SamAsh-- I was just actually auditioning it (for 2 weeks!). I used it for one gig and it worked out real well. Burned a nice CD set with it. I still might end up getting it for real. But why pay for the cow when you can get the milk for free? He He.

Seriously, truly I am torn between the options in recording apparati, and have been so for a very long time.

Your suggestion interests me, despite your haughty tone -- can you tell me more about it? And what it cost you? Do you have faders? Mixer? CD Burner? Is it on a Mac or PC? If so, what kind? Are you using 24 bit? How many tracks can you record on at once? Playback tracks? Total Tracks? How much disk space do you have? How many ins/outs? Are you really sure that the AD conversion is better on a Digi001? What makes you say that -- cause the Korg's is pretty damn good from what I understand!?!

In any case, thanks for the rebuttal.

cheers,
jk

Your suggestion interests me, despite your haughty tone -- can you tell me more about it? And what it cost you? Do you have faders? Mixer? CD Burner? Is it on a Mac or PC? If so, what kind? Are you using 24 bit? How many tracks can you record on at once? Playback tracks? Total Tracks? How much disk space do you have? How many ins/outs? Are you really sure that the AD conversion is better on a Digi001? What makes you say that -- cause the Korg's is pretty damn good from what I understand!?!

No tone intended. Just trying to help. My last 2 weeks with Digi has been amazing.

I paid 769.00

I am using:
Win98SE

P3 1Gig 256Ram w/ H.S. hard drives
(I built my computer...first time builder...for about 800.00)

I don't have the Midi Control but do use a Mackie 24-8 for going in

I can record 8 @ 24bit now and with another peice can do 16@24bit...all analog

It totals 24 track 24Bit playback

As is it has 8 Analog ins and 2 Digital ins. It will do 16 analogs with 2 digitals with the extra converter (Alesis is 399.99)

I have a 40Gig IBM Harddrive for my music only. All my software is on another 20Gig Harddrive.

This is made by the same company (Digi's vendor) that makes the 8824 converter for the Protools TDM and the difference is 1 less chip.

I have 8 songs worth of drums recorded and they sound fantastic. I am fixing to track my bass now and am really excited.

I wish I could fully explain here what editing I have done this past week but it would take up to much time. Suffice it to say that I have cut and pasted exstensively even in the middle of cymbal swells and it sounds...even cranked up on my Tannoy Reveals with my face in the speaker...seamless.

I highly recommend it. I shoped around a lot and was ready to buy the Korg D1600. This offers a lot more flexibility and better editing capabilities. Plus the fact that you can take your sessions to a studio for mixing is desired.

No hard feelings?

no hard feelings.. sniff. I DO have some comments and questions though...

"I wish I could fully explain here what editing I have done this past week but it would take up to much time. Suffice it to say that I have cut and pasted exstensively even in the middle of cymbal swells and it sounds...even cranked up on my Tannoy Reveals with my face in the speaker...seamless."

... have to admit, this all gives me a hardon.

"As is it has 8 Analog ins and 2 Digital ins."
What kind of digital inputs are they? They are 2 stereo ins, right?

"I...use a Mackie 24-8 for going in"
Pardon my ignorance-- mackie 24-8-- that's an analog board? So you track the digital input on the PT side? How much did the mackie run ya?

When you say "This is made by the same company (Digi's vendor) that makes the 8824 converter for the Protools TDM and the difference is 1 less chip. " your talking about the digi001?

"I don't have the Midi Control.."
You do all your mixing sans faders, with a mouse, it sounds like. True? Guess you want your songs to be professionally mixed and mastered, which, frankly makes a shitload of sense to me. Its funny how I go completely back and fourth in my head with this whole fader thing. First I thought I wanted motorized faders, which the KORG doesn't have. Then I heard that some engineers don't like automated faders, they prefer to manually do it all in mix-downs, you know, with their eyes closed, and one finger on each slider, etc... real spiritual. Then I hear that if you are at all serious about creating something decent, you will let a pro studio do your mixing down and mastering. There's definitely a common concensus on this board that you MUST let a pro do your mastering. So, then, with all that in mind, I figure, I don't have to worry about motorized faders.

So, lets try to figure out what this will run me:
$799.00 digi001
$800 self-built computer -- does this include the 2 HDs?
--------
$1600

Then of course theres the options for midi control, more tracks etc.

Anything else?

Finally, I am trying to figure out where you came up with how the digi001 AD converters are so good? Are there any reviews I can check out. The reason I obsess on this is that Ive heard comments to the contrary, and Iv only heard great things about the Korg's. Just want to be sure.. you know.

Otherwise, I think you have me sold. I had never really considered PT on a PC. I always figured you needed a MAC, which as you know, cost a little more than $800.

Anyway-- I greatly appreciate your input, and it has been an absolute pleasure.

Rgds,
JK

"What kind of digital inputs are they? They are 2 stereo ins, right?"

It has 8 analog ins and outs and 2 SPIF Digital RCA type connections.

"Pardon my ignorance-- mackie 24-8-- that's an analog board? So you track the digital input on the PT side? How much did the mackie run ya?"

So far, I have tracked drums. I sent 8 mics from a drum kit through my Mackie Board, mixed (subbed) them to 6 outputs[\B] and then went to my Digi-001 box, into the computer. I also recorded 1 track of a drum machine click and 1 scratch vocal/acoustic as reference as I recorded the drums. This means I recorded 8 tracks at 24bit at the lowest buffer setting and it was awesome. In Playback, through my Tannoy Reveals, They sound great. I used the Mackie to EQ a little going down and to reduce the number of mics to the max number of tracks available. I've had the mackie and couldn't tell you how much it was.

"This is made by the same company (Digi's vendor) that makes the 8824 converter for the Protools TDM and the difference is 1 less chip. "

Yes, sir. The 001 vs 8824

"I don't have the Midi Control.."

Right. I don't have faders. I do use a mouse. I could spring for the 800.00 extra.

My goal is to mix the first go round myself and if I sell enough copies, take it to a local studio and remix it.

"Finally, I am trying to figure out where you came up with how the digi001 AD converters are so good? Are there any reviews I can check out. The reason I obsess on this is that Ive heard comments to the contrary, and Iv only heard great things about the Korg's. Just want to be sure.. you know."

I can't be as specific as I would like to be but, I shopped around for 6 months. I talked to sweetwater extensively, went to my local Mars and Guitar Center and everyone talked it up, even against Digital Performer and Motu stuff. Like I said, I had reserved one of the first D1600's before I heard about Digi.

Also, I found reviews all over the web.

About the editing, my drummer didn't play everything like I had hoped and had some timing issues. I punched in for some things but found it easier to personally edit his performance...moving kicks a little, copying and pasting kicks where he didn't make an accent that I wanted... and much more. The combination of editing and using fades is extremely powerful.

One last thing, I hope next year to buy an apogee 8ch A/D converter and this will give me pro studio 24tracks out at a time, 24bit always, and 8 tracks in at pro studio sonics.

Let me know if you have anymore questions as I am right in the middle of tracking about 15 songs.

Thanks RS -- alright two more. OK, three. Well maybe more-- but not too many...

1) You built your own computer, right? Where did you get the parts (online? store?), what parts did you use (i.e. motherboard, chipset, ram, etc. or was it all a pre-configured set), and are you happy with 'em?

2) The HDs were included in the $800 tag you mentioned?

3) Do you know, off hand, if there is a big difference between MAC and PC versions of Digi001? Differences in Pro Tools version for PC? In retrospect would you recommend a lower-end MAC over a PC?

Thank you most kindly and graciously.
- Jerry

1) You built your own computer, right? Where did you get the parts (online? store?), what parts did you use (i.e. motherboard, chipset, ram, etc. or was it all a pre-configured set), and are you happy with 'em?

Yeah, I did and it was my first time. I was a little nervous but when I hooked everything up, I put my Windows OEM Win98SE CD in, and it worked. I danced momentarily.

I bought my stuff at Best Computer here in Houston.
www.bestcomputerusa.com

Asus Black Gold mother board
P3 1Gig chip
256 Ram stick
Cheap sound card
Cheap 8meg video card
Full tower case with power supply
IBM 40Gig 7200rpm Hard drive

This was under 800.00. I used the monitor, CDR, mouse, and keyboard from my old computer and was going to use my old hard drive but went back and got a Maxtor 20Gig 7200rpm Drive for 120.00.

So...900.00 sorry!

3) Do you know, off hand, if there is a big difference between MAC and PC versions of Digi001? Differences in Pro Tools version for PC? In retrospect would you recommend a lower-end MAC over a PC?

I think that an adequately equipped Mac would be a more stable environment. However, I would not sacrifice what I get from mine for a slower Mac. Windows does a good job and it is a heck of a lot cheaper than a Mac.

My stability is very good and the speed is dead on. I am tracking 8 tracks at a time at the lowest buffer setting without any hickups. I did have to get a couple of pointers on how to configure my PC from digidesign when I first started, but now it is just fine. My only hiccups happen when I am deep editing existing material and even then it is just a nuisance...noting serious.

Robert

Q:

Let me get this straight, the Digi is a soundcard with excellent A/D converters? Does it come with the software?

Digi-001 is a package for Mac or PC. It is a combination of Protools LE, great little brother version of the TDM Protools software, and the 001 A/D converter/breakout box and pci card.

It goes for just under 800.00.

Some good points made here. I'd like to support RS, for the $$ you really cannot go wrong with the 001, it allows you to do very profesional recording / mixing / editing, and at the same time will teach you much of the industry standard music program.
And.... when you find out that MIDI gives you what you put in it, you can use that function as well ;)

Back