portable daw

blackmusic

Hi, Im looking for a portable daw that would be capable of recording several tracks at once. I plan to record my whole band at a time (1 stereo guitar, 1 mono guitar, 1 bass, 1 drummer, and 2 vocals), so I would assume I would need 8 at a minimum. However, I want it be small enough that I can carry it around with me, so that when I'm just lets saying taking a drive (i wouldnt be drving at the time ;-)), I can whip it out and record on the spot (so it would be best if it had some kind of guitar modeling in it). I'm looking to spend under 1 g for it but can go higher if necessary. A cd burner is not a biggie, since I have a computer. What would be the best DAW to buy? Oh, and I know that most DAW's especially the portable ones dont have xlr inputs, so would I need some sort of patch bay to record 8 mics at the same time? What and how much would everything cost (I have mics, monitors and what not)?

~thanks

Yo Music of Ebony:

I think you ought start researching this site and pick out a couple of DAW's that seem to fit your needs.

Many good deals on Roland stuff out there and as each new generation pops up, there are sales on the older stuff but good stuff.

By "portable" do you mean easy to lug around? Most DAWs are not real heavy but I don't know how much knocking around they can take with the hard drive, etc.

I use the Yamaha 2816 but you might be able swing a good deal with the 4416 which has 16 faders whereas the 2816 has only 8 on a flip switch to get the 16 tracks. What I like best about the Yamaha is its SOUND. I've remastered some older stuff from tape and the converters did a great job in 16 bit and 24 bit.

So, brother, start reading and calling 800 numbers of vendors and asking folks what they use and what unit is best for lugging around and bumping around. By the way, both Yam DAWS have a built in CD burner.

Green Hornet

:D :p :p :cool:

I'm not sure if you are interested in a computer-based system, but here it goes anyways. I've got a titaniun g4 running cubase with a motu 828 and (soon) digimax lt. This is a 16 track studio housed in a 2U high rack case. Very rugged.

scsi

hey green, I noticed that the roland daws have pretty much what im looking for however, they have a scsi input? or is it output? could you tell me what that is used for?

Yo Darkness of Music:

SCSI storage devices, etc. This is a little out of my ken as I don't use that type of hook up at the moment.

But, I'm sure that you can get that information either here or from Roland.

I don't use PC at this time to make music; I just use the 2816 and my synth, drum machine, and background CD music for many vocal productions.

So, I'm sorry I can't give you a clear answer but Track Rat and a bunch of other dudes can fill you in or use the search section of the site and the net.

Good Luck
Green Hornet:cool: :cool: :p :p

Unfortunately Not.. but I have read that it is pretty damn cool.;D

I imagine its around the same lines as Pro Tools LE.... (Soundwise)

Back